John Lewis to permanently close eight more shops
24/03/2021 | news | business | 1,436
The move puts 1,465 jobs at risk and means it has axed a third of its stores in less than a year.
Why can you comment on political news stories anymore on the BBC website?
Hopefully not because Boris has appointed Richard Sharp, a former Goldman Sachs Banker, as BBC Chair
24/03/2021 13:22:01 9 6
Not to mention the appointment of the former deputy chairman of the Hammersmith and Fulham Conservative party as Director-General. Meanwhile, the deluded Tory followers and trolls on here still whine about the 'lefty' BBC.
24/03/2021 13:22:58 5 1
I agree. Or the immigration news? But they would have to block 50% of the ‘offending’ comments?
24/03/2021 13:28:27 7 5
Nonsense, the majority of the time, the only stories open to HYS are Tory bashing headlines.

A poor attempt to crowbar a government bias argument, when the opposite is so true.
24/03/2021 13:30:00 3 2
You're complaining about a couple that come from the right out of 22,749 far lefties ? Still a long way to go yet.
24/03/2021 13:34:47 5 0
Good thing. I'm sick of comments insulting either political party and missing the point of the topic under discussion. Too many trolls. I want to know what other ordinary people think, and those better informed than I am (and than the journo!). Mods should remove insults with nothing to add to the discussion.
24/03/2021 13:13:52 535 21
very sad to see what is happening to John Lewis. Say what you like but the store is still a major draw in many towns
They put someone in charge with no retail experience to tick boxes. Outsourced their TV and white goods repairs, cafes and restaurants. Web support offshored to India and went all WOKE in their adverts. No more to say really. Removed
24/03/2021 13:34:29 29 14
Dame SW - she has the biggest brains in the company! blame the fact that as consultant 10 years ago we told them that their online business was bigger than the oxford street branch sales, and they continued opening stores. This isn't just covid. This is the blue rinse brigade.
24/03/2021 13:37:42 41 23
And Woke matters how?
24/03/2021 13:41:12 43 34
Twaddle.
The hard rght obsessives. No HYS they can't twist.
Cheers for the casual bandying of the word 'woke', it serves as a convenient flag telling us the following:

A) that you don't really know what it means
B) that you're a sociopath who believes care for the wellbeing of others is 'weak'
C) all of the above.

I'm guessing you're 'C', but don't worry, I'm sure there's a sale of 'Atlas Shrugged' on somewhere..
24/03/2021 13:53:01 25 13
A year ago you hadn't even heard of the term "woke" but now you use it to mean "something that isn't from my own narrow corridor of existence".
24/03/2021 14:06:45 2 2
All White good repairs are carried out by the manufacturers.
The rest hasn’t got anything to do with it. On Line and the retail High Street sector have the same issues.
RC
24/03/2021 14:11:20 1 6
In a nutshell, yes.
24/03/2021 14:26:15 7 2
haha, Deltic get a grip - you clearly haven't had your bigoted views challenged for a while.
24/03/2021 14:34:05 7 0
Genuine question: Why do you write the word "woke" in caps? I've seen a few people do this and I don't understand why.

Again, this isn't a dig at your comment, I'm just interested.
24/03/2021 14:39:14 0 0
Agreed. No experience in retail or in leading business diversification with all the risks that this holds. And no shareholders to be accountable too, with partners that could be made redundant. On there online platform so many products are out of stock, with lost sales - not good for any retailer. I would not invest in this business.
24/03/2021 14:39:30 2 1
Outsourcing is why I stopped using them. I had a series of problems which JL were slow to fix. One of their support staff was rude to me on the phone. So I resolved never to use them again and wrote to SW. If service is rubbish then JL are no better than any other retailer who sells cheaper than them. The following week I spent almost £3k on tech elsewhere. JL are doomed.
Some businesses such as John Lewis/ Waitrose only help to build more divided society , feeding people's ego and class obsessed society which exists in UK. Without JLWaitrose UK would become fairer, more equal , more like a Scandinavian class-less society of opportunities to all. But it won't change till the government is pro greed and capitalism. Think of it when voting next time.
24/03/2021 13:13:52 535 21
What a major topic to be allowed to comment upon! Thank you BBC. No chance to HYS on Patel's master plan though. Why? Removed
24/03/2021 13:40:19 7 1
Because the hard left pile in and just insult Patel (who's smoking hot btw).
24/03/2021 13:39:36 0 2
Too many people support her and the BBC don't like that
24/03/2021 13:37:42 41 23
And Woke matters how?
Because it discourages people using their business. Companies pushing agendas like using people of a certain colour in all their adverts just alienates the population. Removed
24/03/2021 13:45:27 26 14
BS. They know people that have some consciousness of issues around social justice have money to spend, and on the whole the racists haven’t got two pennies of their government hand outs to rub together.

Hence they target the majority, not the shrill minority.
24/03/2021 13:47:02 32 12
What you mean is 'It alienates people like me who can't handle the fact that there are lots of people in the world who don't look like me.' I don't know who appointed you to speak for 'the population', but as a member of it I fully expect all aspects of the mass media, including advertising, to reflect the huge variety of people I see around me.
24/03/2021 13:48:11 30 15
Only racists won't shop somewhere because of adverts using "people of a certain colour" Jeez how do you people still exist?!
24/03/2021 13:42:49 18 8
alienates racists
24/03/2021 13:57:01 19 5
Surely it only alienates racists. I don't care who is in an advert as long as it is a good advert.
24/03/2021 14:05:52 12 9
Here we go with the Asleep brigade and their 'We're not racists but yes we are' comments...
24/03/2021 14:11:23 16 0
Would you really rather decide which products and services you use because of the colour of the people in their adverts, rather than the quality of the service or price?
I sense that the good people of the UK are more interested in discussing the new asylum rules tabled by Patel than John Lwis Removed
Only on other less censorship minded news organisations. Removed
Yes, I agree. We all would, I'm sure, dearly like to congratulate her on bringing a breath of common-sense to the situation. Removed

A) that you don't really know what it means
C) all of the above.

24/03/2021 14:15:51 0 3
Does it actually tell us that Guinness? Or does it tell us that you are imparting your own views onto someone else? Furthermore, if you are going to do a list with the final point as 'All of the above', it would be more appropriate if 'All of the above' was not an option C. Otherwise, option C is overdramatised in saying 'All of the above' when 'both' would be more appropriate.
Only on other less censorship minded news organisations. Removed
She talks a good game, but there is no reduction in the dinghy invasion fleet. What has she actually achieved? Removed
24/03/2021 13:25:26 103 188
You can complain directly to the BBC instead of bleating in here about it.

Did you have any comment on the article?
My comment on the article is get your facts straight BBC - Cambridge store is NOT closing & will remain open. Removed
24/03/2021 13:49:16 12 4
The article says 'Cambridgeshire', not 'Cambridge'. Maybe get your facts straight before sounding off?
24/03/2021 13:56:30 4 8
Where are the John Lewis stores in Camebridgeshire that are closing then - enlighten me please ?
The one in the Grand Arcade in Cambridge in the isn't, clearly there must be others.
24/03/2021 13:31:02 9 26
Home delivery?
Italian authorities raid vaccine factory amid false fears AstraZeneca doses being hidden for UK Removed
24/03/2021 14:05:41 2 0
Were they destined for JL stores? If not, you're way off topic.
24/03/2021 13:21:39 136 572
John Lewis becomes another casualty of the government's monumental overreaction to coronavirus.

Shame on you Boris.
Are you stupid?? Removed
I love John Lewis

How about a hys on the unprecedented statement by our PM confirming what is now commonly known as BBC bias

Out of touch with the nation, Southern centric, flag censoring and too woke

If even our PM feels the need to comment something must be afoot

and this post gets censored in 10, 9, 8, 7 .......

Keep calm and carry on ??
PJB
24/03/2021 14:16:33 1 1
Another step in the direction of making Amazon the economic size of a medium sized nation. Retail online = mass globalization.

All part of The Great Reset with it's real agenda of making the elite "eliter" (ie richer) .
YAWN Removed
24/03/2021 14:30:29 1 6
There’s defining moments with failure.
John Lewis was choosing Elton John over the people.
Paper chase was pulling adverts from papers they didn’t agree with.....
Go woke,go broke.

#
24/03/2021 14:42:32 4 1
They were actually for Belgium, but don't let the truth get in the way of your bile
24/03/2021 14:42:03 3 0
PARANOIA has no vaccine!
24/03/2021 13:21:39 136 572

Shame on you Boris.
24/03/2021 13:13:51 363 25
I have used John Lewis in lockdown the same amount of times I did prior to lockdown. We need to take this opportunity to adjust to our new shopping behaviours. With that the tax system need to adjust to it too. No point taxing bricks and mortar and not taxing internet shopping.
Not to mention taxes on people of colour that should be abolished Removed
24/03/2021 13:17:42 165 6
This will affect the greater footfall for retailers located around John Lewis with wider implications . I am especially saddened to read that Aberdeen is closing given its importance to retail in the city.
Even worse for the black community Removed
24/03/2021 13:23:21 248 41
“ Department stores in Aberdeen, in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire and in Sheffield and York in Yorkshire, are also closing “

Who at the BBC decided this was good enough English ?
You're actually being racist by language shaming the (black) BBC writer. Just an observation, check your privilege before making these remarks please. Removed
24/03/2021 13:21:39 136 572

Shame on you Boris.
DSA
24/03/2021 17:00:46 0 5
Just another example of shareholder's profit before people.

We need an additional tax to punish companies that do this. 75% looks good.
Idiot. The staff at JL ARE the shareholders! It is employee-owned Removed
24/03/2021 17:04:16 3 0
Ashford a growth town in Kent has lost - Debenhams, M& S and now John Lewis ..it has an overpriced shopping outlet outside of town but is now a retail desert with no theatre or arts scene ....its just a mess
Don’t worry. The asylum seekers will be wanting Amazon grocery outlets and a giant click and collect pickup base for their online shopping. Removed
24/03/2021 17:08:37 1 0
You really hold deeply unpleasant views!
C'mon gammon! It's your sort of place, and you've got all the money. Get out there and spend! Save John Lewis!

Need to preserve our town centres, good old-fashioned shopping, bring back the birch, national service never did anyone any harm, Farage says it how it is, back in my day, beaches of Normandy ... bore, bore, bore
24/03/2021 18:01:01 3 1
Racist
24/03/2021 18:13:18 0 0
You really are pretty toxic yourself.
No one really cares about this but HYS will not allow us to discus the potential changes to immigration. Free Speech, who you kidding Removed
24/03/2021 18:18:32 0 0
This is connected to John Lewis?
24/03/2021 18:20:23 0 0
Everyone is gotcha
Sounds Irish Removed
I feel that JLP have lost their way. Gone from being a friendly family oriented store selling good quality goods to one that is reliant on Chinese tat in over large stores lick the one on Blue Water and with shocking customer care. I bought a washing machine and a dryer from the JLP,the washing machine (Hoover) broke down the first time that it was used and I waited months for the dryer. Removed
I remember regularly receiving a hand job from one of the girls in the mens department.
Not sure if the service has gone down hill or if its only offered to a younger clientele
24/03/2021 13:57:35 10 2
How would I have made it through the day without the writer of this article telling me that Chester is in Cheshire and York is in Yorkshire?
whoever wrote this is an illiterate idiot, even the headline suffers. Removed
Instead of the BBC doing a HYS on John Lewis how about the talentless presenters on the BBC my fee is paying for ? Paddy Mc Guiness, Sally Nugent, Jermaine Jenas, Alex Scott to name a few! Removed
and what the hell is that drag show - is it supposed to be entertainment? Removed
ste
24/03/2021 21:19:20 2 0
Why have all ex footballers become TV presenters? No talent!
*Instant* disconnect to JL 4 EVR. Yes, didn't got to JL *** store every week (do we have to go every week? + pay for car park?) spent plenty store/www. *all* our (2) kids clothes purchased + breastfast feeding room (saved marriage). Prefer carrier bag to carboard box....stores lack imagination/innovation - CEO ('s) need a pulse. A store with cafe.....its the future (like ***). C U nxt Tuesday. Removed