Wales unemployment rate falls to 4.4%
23/02/2021 | news | uk | 60
The Welsh rate of unemployment is now lower than the rate of 5.1% for the UK as a whole.
23/02/2021 10:45:04 7 5
This appears to be good news or is it just a blip. Nothing will be clear until out of lockdown and full effect of Brexit is seen.
23/02/2021 10:53:32 13 12
Am I the only one suspicious of these figures or has selective criteria massaged them to look positive? Common sense alone re: the Economy, Covid, Infrastructure, Nedd's woeful response (or lack of) and ineptitude etc dictates the opposite. I know self employed who have had zero help and support and I am sure there are many others. Suspicious? You bet I am if this is meant to make Nedd look good.
23/02/2021 11:18:09 9 7
The figures are from the ONS, nothing to do with Senedd so not sure what point you are trying to make.
pip
23/02/2021 10:54:02 8 6
So unemployment fell slightly when we were out of lockdown, wow somebody got paid for coming up with this.
23/02/2021 11:03:25 8 9
This is good news however this is just one month figure & does not at the moment represent much. It is what happens in the coming months which will tell the full & true picture. There are many who come on here to praise WL for this lower figure especially as it is better then the UK average. But if the figure goes up in coming months they will blame the UK government for this.
23/02/2021 11:20:57 10 10
What are you going on about ? If it was higher you would be slating the WG. So many come on here to have a pop at WG regardless of good/ bad news you'd think there was an agenda.
23/02/2021 10:53:32 13 12
23/02/2021 11:18:09 9 7
23/02/2021 11:35:58 4 7
Because the article is attributable to Wales yet we don't see the same figures attached to the rest of the UK.
24/02/2021 11:52:14 0 0
ONS are as useless as the wag.
23/02/2021 11:03:25 8 9
23/02/2021 11:20:57 10 10
23/02/2021 12:32:55 3 2
This is only one month figure & should be taken as that we will see the real picture in the months to come. You know full well by now that comments by many will praise WL until it goes wrong then it be the UK government fault. And that what I was saying & I would do the same for any party who in charge.
23/02/2021 11:27:17 12 14
ONS - a non-ministerial department which reports directly to the UK Parliament.
They have reported a lower unemployment rate and higher wages rises than the UK average. Yet people come on here to slate the Welsh Government ??
Abolish / Tory bots, Wales is a Country and it's not going to go away.
It would appear then sheep farming has largely been unaffected by Covid. You can draw all sorts of conclusions from statistics. Removed
23/02/2021 11:24:10 13 11
Great headline....and typical of so many on BBC ...it hides the facts. They chose statistical date from December because it suited the headline they wanted. This is why people have lost faith in the BBC. Some because they use to be highly regarded.
23/02/2021 11:42:25 7 14
Absolute piffle
If anyone wondered where the usual forelock tuggers are? They're having a pop at WG on a thread where the FSB are complaining WG hasn't taken a leaf out of Westminster's book to give retailers an absolute guarantee when they can reopen. In other news, the virus can't read & is oblivious to 'roadmaps'. A precautionary approach is the best idea. This doesn't allow them to have a pop at WG though... Removed
23/02/2021 12:02:59 8 6
Twp. The FSB do more for the self employed than Nedd has ever done. To Nedd the self employed are too much of a hindrance when big money names like Airbus, TVR, Aston Martin, Taffywood, Rhoose etc are involved. I spent 20 years in futile argument with Cardiff over the needs of small business and the number of hedge jumpers was m embarrassing. Would I have employed any of them? No chance.
23/02/2021 11:18:09 9 7
23/02/2021 11:35:58 4 7
23/02/2021 11:41:55 4 5
You just hate any good news in Wales
23/02/2021 12:18:45 2 3
Why not look at the graph for comparison , very easy to understand
23/02/2021 12:25:58 1 3
You could go to the UK News and select politics and it gives the Uk figures instead of moaning and complaining !
23/02/2021 11:27:17 12 14
ONS - a non-ministerial department which reports directly to the UK Parliament.
Abolish / Tory bots, Wales is a Country and it's not going to go away.
23/02/2021 11:35:58 4 7
23/02/2021 11:41:55 4 5
You just hate any good news in Wales
23/02/2021 11:56:44 3 6
I am not a Liebour lackey, unlike a few I could mention. Wink. Wink.
24/02/2021 11:53:23 0 0
No good news in wales for sensible people.
23/02/2021 11:24:10 13 11
23/02/2021 11:42:25 7 14
Absolute piffle
23/02/2021 11:54:11 10 7
Perhaps if we all worked for Local Authorities we would have a far better number re: a working population. And we would know our pensions were safe as a report highlights how many LA's are investing in Fossil Fuel Companies. Their saying we will reduce this by 16% still shows 84% being invested. Re Nedd's mantra about Going Green am I missing something, or is it do as I say not as I do.
23/02/2021 12:02:22 4 8
As long as not do as you say we will be ok
23/02/2021 12:48:18 1 2
They're.
23/02/2021 14:04:54 1 1
local authourities are like soviet russia .. everyone had a job for life .. no matter how bad it was
23/02/2021 11:41:55 4 5
You just hate any good news in Wales
23/02/2021 11:56:44 3 6
I am not a Liebour lackey, unlike a few I could mention. Wink. Wink.
No you’re a Tory troll Removed
23/02/2021 11:54:11 10 7
23/02/2021 12:02:22 4 8
As long as not do as you say we will be ok
23/02/2021 12:02:59 8 6
23/02/2021 11:56:44 3 6
I am not a Liebour lackey, unlike a few I could mention. Wink. Wink.
No you’re a Tory troll Removed
Well if MrGoGreen is a Tory troll than you with your many comments are a Labour troll. Removed
23/02/2021 12:04:27 13 10
Oh dear BBC Wales and the usual L:abour forelock tuggers are out in force prestending that the unemployment rate demonstrates some sort of resounding success for Welsh Labour. It might help if they learned the difference between the unemployment rate and the rate of employment. It is simple enough for most. Wales 72% England 75%.
23/02/2021 12:06:04 9 16
Oh dear more bitter sour grapes

What with this and the Welsh vaccine success roll on 6 May
23/02/2021 12:04:27 13 10
23/02/2021 12:06:04 9 16
Oh dear more bitter sour grapes

What with this and the Welsh vaccine success roll on 6 May
23/02/2021 13:03:44 2 2
Oh dear I see you still have not worked out the difference between the unemployment rate and the employment rate.
I am delighted with the vaccine rollout though how the marginal difference between the nations be regarded as a victory for Wales is beyond decent people. That includes some chap called Drakeford who told us that the vaccine rollout was not a race!
23/02/2021 14:03:48 3 1
Welsh vaccine? did they move the production / developement to wales while no one was looking
23/02/2021 11:35:58 4 7
23/02/2021 12:18:45 2 3
Why not look at the graph for comparison , very easy to understand
23/02/2021 12:19:19 9 11
A Nonstory from the Labour left BBC.
23/02/2021 12:26:29 6 10
If unemployment was higher than England no doubt it would be a real story

Such hypocrisy
23/02/2021 11:35:58 4 7
23/02/2021 12:25:58 1 3
23/02/2021 12:19:19 9 11
A Nonstory from the Labour left BBC.
23/02/2021 12:26:29 6 10
If unemployment was higher than England no doubt it would be a real story

Such hypocrisy
23/02/2021 11:20:57 10 10
23/02/2021 12:32:55 3 2
23/02/2021 12:52:35 1 2
No it Oct- Dec , 3 mths
No you’re a Tory troll Removed
23/02/2021 12:37:21 5 9
Robert

Pretty hysterical if you think about it...
Wales records unemployment falls by 4.4%
And suddenly it becomes a non story from the Labour left BBC
Some of these comedians really take the biscuit?
23/02/2021 12:46:30 7 13
The figures must be incorrect. There cannot and must never be any positive news coming out of Wales. The Daily Mail says so. And Boris. I am outraged and demand a full inquiry immediately. Somebody please put a negative spin on this. We have Wales leading the way in vaccinations, getting children back to school and now this! I can't cope.
23/02/2021 13:11:42 2 11
Boris just be seething, I was cringing yesterday his stance Britain is doing brilliantly , Wales ignored in this again, perhaps he's just embarrassed that some other nation th an his, Wales is doing better shock horror

My greatest fear is that as soon as the English lock down is over then our neighbours in will get really stupid to back wards and swarm over here
23/02/2021 12:47:55 3 17
President Drakeford looking after the Welsh economy - as usual
23/02/2021 14:00:49 6 4
only thing he is firt for is being a Spitting Image puppet
23/02/2021 11:54:11 10 7
23/02/2021 12:48:18 1 2
They're.
23/02/2021 12:31:10 3 15
Are the cruel Tory sanctions which distort the real numbers still in place?
what Tory sanctions ... does your carer know you are on the internet?? Removed
23/02/2021 12:32:55 3 2
23/02/2021 12:52:35 1 2
No it Oct- Dec , 3 mths
23/02/2021 12:06:04 9 16
Oh dear more bitter sour grapes

What with this and the Welsh vaccine success roll on 6 May
23/02/2021 13:03:44 2 2
23/02/2021 13:29:14 1 4
Maybe rather than trying to reconfigure the stats to suit your side of the equation, you just accept the figure quoted for what it is? And stop using the "decent" word as some weird kind of weaponising word...
Which I assure you john is definitely NOT doing the decent thing.
23/02/2021 12:46:30 7 13
23/02/2021 13:11:42 2 11

23/02/2021 13:31:34 5 2
gwyn, you are very confused. Let me help you, Britain comprises England, Scotland and Wales. So how was Wales excluded?
Your greatest fear was shared by Drakeford last summer when he told us that the record high Covid rates in the SW Valleys were caused by hordes of English tourists visting the Rhondda Valleys. He was wrong then as you are now.
23/02/2021 13:21:11 9 2
I don't quite see how the unemployment rate falls during a global pandemic, but there we are - perhaps we need more global pandemics!
Or have they lost some of the statistics again?
23/02/2021 16:32:47 1 1
or it could be that people are moving off unemployment benefit figures and into long term illness and disability type benefits. After all this is unemployed and looking for work... not just unemployed.
23/02/2021 13:03:44 2 2
23/02/2021 13:29:14 1 4
Which I assure you john is definitely NOT doing the decent thing.
23/02/2021 14:05:53 3 1
Sorry Polzoid but which stat am I reconfiguring? I have simply rebalanced a rather lopsided BBC discussion by adding a more important figure into the equation. Surely you recognise that a balanced discussion on employment/unemployment is important.
I am sorry that my referring to Drakeford as a decent person has offended you, I wil;l be more careful in future. Why the capital not?
T
23/02/2021 13:30:53 13 3
Surprised it's not higher as Drakeford and Co talking about not opening small business until later in the year.
Nothing but negativity from these pair
23/02/2021 13:11:42 2 11

23/02/2021 13:31:34 5 2
You’re still sick as pig about the vaccine story Removed
23/02/2021 13:31:34 5 2
You’re still sick as pig about the vaccine story Removed
23/02/2021 13:48:34 3 1
How silly, why would I be sick as a pig? I have had my 1st vaccination and have the date for the second. It was Drakeford who told us "it's not a race", was he lying?
You’re still sick as pig about the vaccine story Removed
23/02/2021 13:48:34 3 1
23/02/2021 14:02:17 3 1
do you live in cardiff? some of us are still waiting for our first jab!
It’s not a race now stop throwing up Removed
23/02/2021 13:51:23 6 1
The economic inactive figures have risen in Wales as well now 1 in 4, 16 to 64 yo economically inactive.
Lower unemployment shifted to economic inactivity.
24/02/2021 10:42:19 1 1
Unfortuantely there are several "usernames" on HYS that will not (or cnnot) understand the point that you are making. Sadly for Wales our employment rate continues to be low.
23/02/2021 12:31:10 3 15
Are the cruel Tory sanctions which distort the real numbers still in place?
what Tory sanctions ... does your carer know you are on the internet?? Removed
23/02/2021 14:37:40 1 2
The sanctions which meant the unemployed were forced to srub floors for nothing, and the mentally ill forced out onto the streets with no benefits because they didn't have the wherewithall to cope with interviews, deadlines etc. And don't tell me it didn't happen. I've been there.
23/02/2021 12:47:55 3 17
President Drakeford looking after the Welsh economy - as usual
23/02/2021 14:00:49 6 4
only thing he is firt for is being a Spitting Image puppet
23/02/2021 14:01:46 6 1
The last time we saw this type of move we had become the sick nation of the UK with so many claiming DLA. What are are the people who are now declared economically inactive, which has risen dramatically, doing?

Is this just a play on the numbers?
23/02/2021 15:39:35 0 4
Oh dear still seething
23/02/2021 13:48:34 3 1
23/02/2021 14:02:17 3 1
do you live in cardiff? some of us are still waiting for our first jab!
23/02/2021 14:11:01 2 1
In the Vale. Talking to people it seems to be a bit "pot luck" but none the less on a personal basis I am happy
23/02/2021 12:06:04 9 16
Oh dear more bitter sour grapes

What with this and the Welsh vaccine success roll on 6 May
23/02/2021 14:03:48 3 1
23/02/2021 15:37:35 0 1
Yes the production line in Wrexham You do know about it don’t you ?
23/02/2021 11:54:11 10 7
23/02/2021 14:04:54 1 1
23/02/2021 13:29:14 1 4
Which I assure you john is definitely NOT doing the decent thing.
23/02/2021 14:05:53 3 1
23/02/2021 14:02:17 3 1
do you live in cardiff? some of us are still waiting for our first jab!
23/02/2021 14:11:01 2 1
23/02/2021 14:27:31 7 1
Maybe like London people are just leaving Wales, rather than signing on.

I would like to see the latest ONS GDP/GNI estimates for Wales, before we break out the bubbly.
23/02/2021 15:39:52 1 4
Cheers
what Tory sanctions ... does your carer know you are on the internet?? Removed
23/02/2021 14:37:40 1 2
23/02/2021 14:03:48 3 1
23/02/2021 15:37:35 0 1
Yes the production line in Wrexham You do know about it don’t you ?
23/02/2021 13:48:34 3 1
It’s not a race now stop throwing up Removed
23/02/2021 14:01:46 6 1

Is this just a play on the numbers?
23/02/2021 15:39:35 0 4
Oh dear still seething
23/02/2021 14:27:31 7 1
Maybe like London people are just leaving Wales, rather than signing on.

23/02/2021 15:39:52 1 4
Cheers
23/02/2021 13:21:11 9 2
Or have they lost some of the statistics again?
23/02/2021 16:32:47 1 1
23/02/2021 13:51:23 6 1
Lower unemployment shifted to economic inactivity.
24/02/2021 10:42:19 1 1
24/02/2021 11:23:03 1 1
Need to look at the long term. Education based on technology, global markets and the reintroduction of the WDA.
Carry on talking about now and we will continue to have a low skills and low pay economy where the skilled and talented leave Wales.
23/02/2021 11:18:09 9 7
24/02/2021 11:52:14 0 0
ONS are as useless as the wag.
23/02/2021 11:41:55 4 5
You just hate any good news in Wales
24/02/2021 11:53:23 0 0
No good news in wales for sensible people.