Sponsorship change to benefit amateurs
22/02/2021 | sport | golf | 61
Amateur golfers will be allowed to accept sponsorship without restriction if significant changes just published are given the go ahead.
22/02/2021 14:31:05 3 2
I have believed for a very long time that Amateur should end Aged 18 or at m0st 21
After that all are just classed as players
Nobody ever wants Tennis or Cricket to revert to Amateur/Pro divisions
22/02/2021 15:10:18 2 1
Cricket was always a mixed pro/amateur game. The only thing lost when they gave up the distinction was the old Gentleman/Players match which had lost the public's interest by then anyway (1961 from memory)
22/02/2021 14:45:18 6 0
common sense prevails at last, give everyone a chance
22/02/2021 15:05:30 7 2
Money is still controlling access to golf. £535 max prize limit or turn professional?? Pathetic. Club membership is thousands, golf clubs and equipment, thousands. Win a comp and the prize won't even cover your green fees or travel expense of getting to event and playing. New talent is out there and never sees the light of competition because they've no money.
22/02/2021 16:44:57 7 0
totally agree 535 quid doesnt seem minimum wage to me, frankly anyone should be able to earn up to 25k before being a professional ! Most elite ams have second and third jobs to try and make it. ! to play an event on the european tour can cost around 5k ! R&A being so forward thinking again....there asleep at the wheel as normal !
22/02/2021 17:55:49 2 0
Club membership is not thousands and a good set of clubs last years.
22/02/2021 14:31:05 3 2
After that all are just classed as players
Nobody ever wants Tennis or Cricket to revert to Amateur/Pro divisions
22/02/2021 15:10:18 2 1
22/02/2021 15:12:24 0 5
"The authorities remain committed to maintaining the traditionally strong competitive side of the elite amateur scene."

That's a good one.
22/02/2021 16:26:27 7 1
Anyone who wishes to sponsor a 12 handicap 75 year old with a yippy short game should contact me urgently.

Just asking !!
Maybe try writing to the marketing team at Werthers. Removed
22/02/2021 18:04:25 1 0
Tempting, but it’s a no from me.
22/02/2021 20:59:07 1 0
Having a 12 h/cap at age 75 is reward enough but I'll chuck in 50p :)
22/02/2021 16:35:15 4 2
Long overdue. In fact, get rid of amateur status completely, an antiquated concept. Other sports haven’t suffered in the slightest!
22/02/2021 16:26:27 7 1

Just asking !!
Maybe try writing to the marketing team at Werthers. Removed
Probably jealous of his 12 handicap, why werthers? Ageist remark! But then I expect nothing less from you.... Removed
22/02/2021 15:05:30 7 2
22/02/2021 16:44:57 7 0
22/02/2021 17:57:21 0 0
Errr we are talking amateur Golf here, not the elite college system they have in the US. I reckon 95% of amateurs don't even think about prize money and play for enjoyment.
Maybe try writing to the marketing team at Werthers. Removed
22/02/2021 17:12:37 3 1
Will I get paid for wearing a WILSON logoed beeny? Backdated to 1970 please?
23/02/2021 10:58:38 1 0
no but you will be told to take the hat off in the clubhouse bar
22/02/2021 17:18:51 0 3
I think also the PGA should do something about Pro-Ams. Too many good pro's compete for zero return and prize funds are far too low. So often those in the money below 5th place receive a cheque that barely covers travel expenses.
23/02/2021 21:18:02 0 0
Why ? They are not exactly elite sport - just a bunch of club pros wanting to look important
22/02/2021 17:22:37 7 5
The Riviera Country Club.

What a fantastic course that was?
You have to be a great putter and have a tight short game to play well on that?
Not easy for 1 trick ponies who only want to bash their drivers all over the place?

It's funny how we don't seem to want to talk about a wonderful tournament this weekend.

Anybody know why?
22/02/2021 23:10:43 0 0
I do not think it is a fantastic course but far far better than what the PGA tour normally dishes up. Poa greens are always tricky as the day proceeds and kikuyu grass on the fairways and rough can often make nasty unfair pockets. However the design of the greens is excellent.
22/02/2021 17:34:56 4 1
Maksi, yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the Genesis Invitational: fantastic course, great golf and a great win for the local lad (....did you put a bet on him after I said he was a great E/W option).
Riviera should be back on the rota for a major.
22/02/2021 17:52:15 4 5
No betting from me ever Matt. I just enjoy watching the golf.

Good to see not a mention of changing the equipment after this weekend.

Agreed it should be a Major Championship course It's brutal, even when one is on the green.

I see we have yet another article and some nice photos for the scrap book of the busted flush.
22/02/2021 17:34:56 4 1
Riviera should be back on the rota for a major.
22/02/2021 17:52:15 4 5
No betting from me ever Matt. I just enjoy watching the golf.

Good to see not a mention of changing the equipment after this weekend.

Another write up on borey for missing the cut by seven! Bbc running out of ideas I think! The love in with the bottler amazes me! Removed
22/02/2021 17:59:26 5 3
Didn't take long for your hatred to emerge. An article about amateur status and you still managed it. Sad.
22/02/2021 15:05:30 7 2
22/02/2021 17:55:49 2 0
Club membership is not thousands and a good set of clubs last years.
22/02/2021 18:03:28 2 0
Depends where you’re a member of, I’ve no doubt the elite amateurs are not members of the local muni and hawking around 20 year old Slazenger’s in their bag. Unless of course, they live in Bermuda and a member of that well know muni, Port Royal. ??????
22/02/2021 17:52:15 4 5
No betting from me ever Matt. I just enjoy watching the golf.

Good to see not a mention of changing the equipment after this weekend.

22/02/2021 18:20:07 2 6
You are an excellent poster on here BOD. Always have been and it is always a pleasure to hear your views.

Take an arrow up from me, again.

Now the busted flush needs to travel down to Florida apparently. Maybe he should just sit at home and play Playstation golf?
It would be the same thing?
Have you ever seen a player ranked in the top five who putts that badly before?
22/02/2021 16:44:57 7 0
22/02/2021 17:57:21 0 0
22/02/2021 17:52:15 4 5
No betting from me ever Matt. I just enjoy watching the golf.

Good to see not a mention of changing the equipment after this weekend.

22/02/2021 17:59:26 5 3
22/02/2021 18:07:48 0 4
Yes I can imagine you and many others on here would rather talk about amateur status than what is going on in the world of top level golf, this week, again.
Anyway there is a lovely article for you to enjoy about Tiger, Charlie, Poppy and the busted flush.

It's predictable and pretty sad really.

Did you enjoy this weekends drama?
22/02/2021 18:24:08 3 0
Well said jimmyc, stick to the subject boys and girls.
22/02/2021 17:55:49 2 0
Club membership is not thousands and a good set of clubs last years.
22/02/2021 18:03:28 2 0
22/02/2021 18:16:20 1 0
I'd imagine that elite amateurs get pretty good deals. There is a high performance academy for juniors and budding pros at my club and they get pretty substantial support. And plenty of clubs have some sort of intermediate membership for kids in their 20's before they end up paying full subs. Elite amateur in 40's or 50's? I'd expect them to pay full whack.
22/02/2021 18:28:42 1 0
Best Muni course I have played was Beth Page Black, the year before the US Open was played there.
22/02/2021 16:26:27 7 1

Just asking !!
22/02/2021 18:04:25 1 0
Tempting, but it’s a no from me.
22/02/2021 17:59:26 5 3
22/02/2021 18:07:48 0 4

It's predictable and pretty sad really.

Did you enjoy this weekends drama?
22/02/2021 18:19:45 4 0
I always enjoy watching golf, whether on TV or live. Unlike you though, I don't derive my enjoyment from seeing that someone has played badly, even when it is your favourite player, Bison. Enjoy the golf, drop the hatred, it will eat you up.
22/02/2021 18:23:43 3 0
And yes, I enjoyed the drama. Always interesting to see how things work out when the pressure is really on in the final holes and playoffs. So often, the more seasoned pros get the job done, but good to see more of an outsider clinch this one. Similar in the snooker, I fully expected Ronnie to do enough to win, but the Northern Irish lad held his nerve really well, particularly in the final frame.
22/02/2021 18:03:28 2 0
22/02/2021 18:16:20 1 0
22/02/2021 19:47:01 2 0
One of my clubs have intermediate membership into late 30s, which is a farce, into mid 20s is sensible. Port Royal best muni I’ve ever played, just a little more costly than your standard muni.
22/02/2021 18:17:42 4 3
It's ok for professionals/ millionaires to go and play in the Olympics, which in my opinion should be for amateurs only, maybe getting a lottery sports funding for the top amateurs with the added bonus if they qualify for the Olympics would be a way forward.
22/02/2021 19:25:50 1 5
So no athletics at the Olympics then, or a whole host of other sports. I.e. cancel the Olympics completely. Not so smart.
22/02/2021 19:53:19 1 0
Rich people shouldn’t be allowed to compete on the olympics? Why else would you mention wealth? That would be a bit of a change from Chariots of Fire days.
22/02/2021 18:07:48 0 4

It's predictable and pretty sad really.

Did you enjoy this weekends drama?
22/02/2021 18:19:45 4 0
22/02/2021 18:20:07 2 6

Take an arrow up from me, again.

It would be the same thing?
Have you ever seen a player ranked in the top five who putts that badly before?
22/02/2021 21:59:35 1 0
Where's bods comment? ??
22/02/2021 18:07:48 0 4

It's predictable and pretty sad really.

Did you enjoy this weekends drama?
22/02/2021 18:23:43 3 0
22/02/2021 17:59:26 5 3
22/02/2021 18:24:08 3 0
Well said jimmyc, stick to the subject boys and girls.
22/02/2021 18:26:43 1 0
I can't see how this would help anyone. If the player accepts the minimum winnings of £535 he remains an amateur. That would barely cover his costs. He would then go on to the next week, and the week after, and do exactly the same until he eventually runs out of money. At the end of the day professional sport is very competitive and only the best make it. Many find that difficult to accept!
22/02/2021 18:35:32 1 0
I guess it allows players to have a shot at a few events and see how they get on, without having to turn pro, then commit to a more extensive schedule and consider turning pro. You're right though, $750 limit doesn't really give a lot of wiggle room.
22/02/2021 18:03:28 2 0
22/02/2021 18:28:42 1 0
22/02/2021 18:26:43 1 0
22/02/2021 18:35:32 1 0
22/02/2021 18:17:42 4 3
22/02/2021 19:25:50 1 5
22/02/2021 21:18:18 0 1
to much money changing hands to cancel an Olympics, certain sports shouldn't be allowed, but I guess money talks.
22/02/2021 18:16:20 1 0
22/02/2021 19:47:01 2 0
22/02/2021 18:17:42 4 3
22/02/2021 19:53:19 1 0
22/02/2021 21:52:24 1 1
As it's a golf article and golf is in the Olympics And the top 15 world ranked players automatically qualify, and would assume are fairly wealthy, give the amateurs a chance to shine on the world stage and maybe gain sponsorship to pursue their dream of becoming professional.
Maybe make it 50/50 ama/pro,
22/02/2021 19:56:05 6 2
My husband has a friend who was a +5 handicap as an amateur qualified for the challenge tour, best result was four rounds in the 60's earnt around £2000 half was lost too travel entrance fee and hotel , came off after two years £20,000 in debt now sells fruit and veg to hotels . Total waste of talent !,
22/02/2021 20:04:04 3 0
You need real financial backing and sponsorship to embark on turning pro . It’s the same in other sports too, I’m sure we all know excellent footballers who didn’t quite make it in the pro ranks for example. Not easy being a pro in any sport.
23/02/2021 10:32:49 0 0
And let's not forget that the R and A did a huge deal with Sky to televise the Open , all sports should be on normal telly not just highlights at 11pm !
22/02/2021 19:56:05 6 2
22/02/2021 20:04:04 3 0
22/02/2021 20:24:10 6 2
The reason this still exists is because of the controlling bodies and associated free loaders. Your subs pay for EGU, R&A etc old school tie officials to travel the world and they don't want it to stop.
22/02/2021 22:58:34 5 1
Except for the salaried executive ,most golf clubs and associations in the golf world have committees made up of people who do the work on a voluntary basis and I do not begrudge them a few benefits .
22/02/2021 16:26:27 7 1

Just asking !!
22/02/2021 20:59:07 1 0
Having a 12 h/cap at age 75 is reward enough but I'll chuck in 50p :)
22/02/2021 19:25:50 1 5
22/02/2021 21:18:18 0 1
22/02/2021 21:33:16 2 0
Professional sports feel a bit odd at the Olympics. I’m far more used to watching sports where the olympics is the pinnacle of the sport (athletics for example), and it gets odd where that isn’t the case, like basketball, football.
22/02/2021 21:18:18 0 1
22/02/2021 21:33:16 2 0
22/02/2021 21:56:57 1 0
Totally with you on that, at least football have made restrictions on eligibility.
22/02/2021 19:53:19 1 0
22/02/2021 21:52:24 1 1
Maybe make it 50/50 ama/pro,
22/02/2021 21:33:16 2 0
22/02/2021 21:56:57 1 0
22/02/2021 22:23:11 1 0
Yeah, but that just leaves me wondering what the hell am I watching, don’t really care who wins. It’s not like seeing who can beat Brazil’s best team for example. Whereas whoever wins the pole vault is the best in the world.

Golf is part way there, some of the best players are there but not all of them.
22/02/2021 18:20:07 2 6

Take an arrow up from me, again.

It would be the same thing?
Have you ever seen a player ranked in the top five who putts that badly before?
22/02/2021 21:59:35 1 0
Where's bods comment? ??
22/02/2021 21:56:57 1 0
22/02/2021 22:23:11 1 0

Golf is part way there, some of the best players are there but not all of them.
22/02/2021 20:24:10 6 2
22/02/2021 22:58:34 5 1
22/02/2021 23:02:56 2 0
I think that it seems an excellent idea to put the toe into the professional water for a period without damaging your amateur status ..maybe just fine tune the amounts.
22/02/2021 17:22:37 7 5
The Riviera Country Club.

What a fantastic course that was?
You have to be a great putter and have a tight short game to play well on that?

Anybody know why?
22/02/2021 23:10:43 0 0
23/02/2021 06:46:15 3 0
Makes a change to hear about grass roots golf, rather then the press releases from MacIlroy and Woods.
23/02/2021 07:07:34 2 3
Just another move away from the true spirit of amateur sport. Money should not come into it at all.

P. S. What about the nick of Woods on TV on Sunday? I wouldn't like to be in the vicinity when he next gets behind the steering wheel lol.
23/02/2021 19:51:07 1 0
Called it.
22/02/2021 19:56:05 6 2
23/02/2021 10:32:49 0 0
22/02/2021 17:12:37 3 1
Will I get paid for wearing a WILSON logoed beeny? Backdated to 1970 please?
23/02/2021 10:58:38 1 0
no but you will be told to take the hat off in the clubhouse bar
TR
23/02/2021 11:02:25 1 0
As a scratch golfer 50 years ago, the contrast in attitudes of officialdom is astounding. Now the aim is to ease the path to a professional career, then amateur status was prized and perhaps over-protected. The change is progress given the objective, but the ladder in amateur golf, for good players who will not make it a career has had the upper rungs removed.
23/02/2021 14:03:13 0 0
Totally agree.

I remember reading an interesting article in the Irish Independent a few years ago (24/2/19) where Arthur Pierse recalled Jay Sigel warning him off the professional Seniors Tour.

Aspiring young amateurs should note that Arthur, Garth McGimpsey and Peter McEvoy (all Walker Cup players) never turned professional. And Jay seemed to regret doing so.
23/02/2021 13:44:49 0 0
Another example of the R&A messing with the rules in an effort to justify their existence.

These days does any golfer know all the rules of golf? I suspect not. They really ought to be considering how they can reduce the rules to one sheet of paper as was the case in 1744 (https://www.scottishgolfhistory.org/origin-of-golf-terms/rules-of-golf/)
TR
23/02/2021 11:02:25 1 0
23/02/2021 14:03:13 0 0
Totally agree.

23/02/2021 14:22:11 2 0
Sorry another comment on behalf of my husband who was a pro in Devon did his exams gave up his amateur status too teach did great things in junior golf and teaching adults , unfortunatly due to an eye condition and no retainer from the club despite a recruitment drive to get new members in had to give up !
The RandA made him wait two years to get his amateur status back ! Joke
23/02/2021 21:13:54 0 0
Absolute joke - your husband has probably been banging his head against a brick wall for years trying to undo the harm golfs ‘rule makers’ do to the sport - such a shame as it’s a great sport for kids to learn !
23/02/2021 14:55:33 2 0
So the review started in late 2017....all parties guilty of slow play !
23/02/2021 07:07:34 2 3

23/02/2021 19:51:07 1 0
Called it.
23/02/2021 21:12:20 0 0
Golf’s rule makers hey ! What a shame the sport couldn’t find its way into the present day - a great sport but the old farts sitting in their leather chairs making rule after rule are a real put off sadly
23/02/2021 14:22:11 2 0
The RandA made him wait two years to get his amateur status back ! Joke
23/02/2021 21:13:54 0 0
22/02/2021 17:18:51 0 3
23/02/2021 21:18:02 0 0
23/02/2021 21:42:27 0 0
Gary wolsenholm ( spelt wrong) amateur for years nice shiny car nice shiny shoes nice shiny watch nice shiny clubs nice sponsored clothing turned pro at 50 ? Says it all really. Bit like Quinn's and fifty quid notes in the boots in the amateur days! Sorry rants over