Heads warn against 'grinding out hours' in summer catch up
09/02/2021 | news | education | 1,656
School leaders say catch up plans should not be "gimmicks" or create long hours for tired children.
09/02/2021 13:14:45 138 116
The teaching unions have been a disgrace during the pandemic.
I bet you wouldn't have the balls to do a teaching job, you miserable old troll. Removed
09/02/2021 13:53:09 5 6
White kids probably get left behind in schools because the Marxist teachers believe they are 'privileged' and thus they devote their attention to those they deem 'oppressed'. That's the trouble with Critical Race Theory dividing people into racial groups with winners and losers. This should be the headline story rather than it being tucked away at the bottom.
09/02/2021 13:22:57 173 169
Not the teachers left wing unions, that's for sure
"Not the teachers left wing unions, that's for sure"

Hmmm. Missing an apostrophe, a hyphen and an exclamation mark. It's hard to sound authoritative when the participation in learning was clearly so absent.
Sound like a teacher here who is like far too many doing bugger all for kids are just their vehicle to a soft life at present. Removed
"Not the teachers left wing unions, that's for sure"

09/02/2021 13:36:07 31 206
Judging by the fact that teachers have done little in the last 12 months and it seems doing little in the future do not think they will have a shortage, their are always members of society happy to do little and get paid for it.
09/02/2021 13:48:27 152 164
I heard that when Nelson Mandela was released from prison he came upon a group of child activists and gave them a simple instruction.

"Go to school"

He realised that their education was crucial to the future of the country and more important than activism, however justified that activism was in apartheid SA.

I hope the teachers and their unions make the same realisation and put the kids first.
What has mandela got to do with teachers, unless you want to teach murder corruption and terrorism Removed
09/02/2021 13:28:06 185 56
My children are stuck indoors doing their online lessons each weekday. They need a break! I will not be sending my children to school during holidays.
That's because you will have to get up and get them there - smaks of really good parenting to me, take a hard look at what hours and work public school educated children get through then moan "my kids didn't get those chances" Removed
09/02/2021 14:24:23 3 1
Wait, what?

Megs describes her reality, and you choose to insult her, that she is a lazy so-and-so, and her ONLY interest in education is that she can stay in?

Wow.
09/02/2021 13:31:24 194 59
I just want to know who they expect to do the teaching

Teachers are salaried with contractuaral holidays and no overtime mechanism

How many other people would be expected to work for free in order to 'catch up' when most have worked full time throughout !
09/02/2021 13:24:10 181 511
His and your loss if he won't do extra hours
09/02/2021 14:47:00 14 1
If teaching is so easy why do 4 in 10 teachers leave within 5 years
09/02/2021 13:24:10 181 511
His and your loss if he won't do extra hours
Cretin Removed
09/02/2021 13:47:45 101 12
No wonder children are getting strung out. All this talk of falling behind and gaps...it’s nonsense. The pandemic has revealed two very sad things in relation to young people; 1. Their parents have become too reliant on “rent a parent”clubs and activities so are clueless when their kids are around and...2. People think learning stops without a laptop. Depressing.
What a complete and utter moron, society creates a world in which it wants and encourages both parents to work, so parents then utilise tools such as school breakfast / afterschool clubs and further opportunities for their kids to learn while being able to do their jobs. Its not about reliance on others or being clueless about looking after their own kids. idiots like you (presumably a teacher) Removed
Government - 'KEEPING SCHOOLS OPEN IS A PRIORITY'.

Reality - SCHOOLS HAVE BEEN SHUT TO MOST SINCE THE NEW YEAR.

Verdict - LYING, USELESS, UNRELIABLE, UNCARING, INCOMPETENT CHILD ABUSERS.
09/02/2021 15:18:05 1 1
What? Are you absolutely nuts? The gov has been keeping schools open as much as possible. during COVID. And got heavily critisised for it by Labour and many others who said schools MUST close to limit COVID.

They cannot win!!!
09/02/2021 13:22:30 151 35
Sensible comment from headteacher asking for a proper policy over populist slogans and winged strategy.

So no doubt the shills are out in force moaning about lazy teachers?
09/02/2021 15:30:03 3 1
Fake reply! As you "conveniently" cut out the rest of my comment where I stick up a bit for the teachers saying they are burnt out by the unruly kids today. And yes in the part you excluded I also blamed the soft leftist PC culture for the unruly kids who spoil it for the teachers and other kids. Not allowed to punish them. This truth must have wound you up no end, hence your reply!
And you cannot deny teachers are workshy. Most of them have just done teaching all their lives. Not normal jobs where we only dream of such long holidays. But I do understand that teaching is stressful which could be why they want such long holidays. The left are to blame for that. Kid are allowed to get out of control because they never get punished. Some run riot and take the piss. Removed
09/02/2021 15:31:26 4 6
Teaching is one of the hardest jobs on the planet, more so in a society such as ours. I would NEVER want to be a full-time teacher ( giving a few seminars and workshops is enough for me). I can scarcely think of any harder job. I have great respect for full-time teachers, whose workload I can only describe as inhuman. It pains me to see society doing its utmost to make life harder for teachers.
09/02/2021 13:22:57 173 169
Not the teachers left wing unions, that's for sure
Idiot Removed
MF
09/02/2021 16:38:58 4 11
I'm all for shorter summer holiday and summer camps for children to catch up as teachers have been slacking off since March last year
What planet is this clown living on? planet Moron perhaps. Removed
09/02/2021 17:06:56 0 1
The MP for Stoke-on-Trent North said the way that ministers "aren't addressing specifically white working class pupils feels that this is part of the problem. It's a taboo subject" Johnathan Gullis the MP that went on a rant and voted against giving kids food over Oct half term. He wont be the Stoke North MP come 2024 when it turns red again, least Ruth Smeeth was a local lass that cared
I don’t think working class parents would respond well to being told to do a better job raising their kids even though it’s what they need to hear. Removed
09/02/2021 17:21:17 0 0
Plenty of working class people care about education and generations of university educated, higher rate tax payers still consider themselves working class. Mostly ordinary working class people pay for private education too. Huge generalisation in your simplistic comments.
Teachers should be vaccinated as a priority. Not because they're vulnerable but so the unions can't use safety as an excuse. Obviously they'd think of some other excuse to not go back to work, but it would show them up as the whingiest, whiniest, most pathetic, privileged, and entitled bunch of parasites they are. Teachers are great, unions are one reason this country has gone to the dogs. Removed
09/02/2021 17:27:37 0 3
I think perhaps the crown for whingiest, whiniest etc, etc may go to yourself. You've certainly got a cob on about something.

Union's sole responsibility is to act in the best interests of their members. Teaching unions are run by people who have been teachers. You cannot separate the two.

Teachers will always do the best for their students. You however do what exactly?
mac
09/02/2021 17:45:07 0 0
Yet another pack of lies allowed to stay on a public forum.
my 7 year old just asked me "dad why are teachers still on holiday since march last year?"..my reply "son cos' they are a bunch of dossers" Removed
09/02/2021 18:08:30 3 0
You seem to have a problem with teachers MF. Are you jealous of them? Maybe you didn’t like them when you were at school.
I’m good, I’m in demand from rich parents, I know my stuff inside out and I get their kids to top universities. This is the way society is structured so deal with it.
mac
09/02/2021 18:04:33 2 0
Oh my goodness he’s bred! No wonder teaching is so hard. Perhaps you can share your role during the pandemic with us?
09/02/2021 16:17:26 3 5
Again we have teacher leaders setting the worst example to our children. There are great teachers however for the majority any threat to their priviledged life style raises negative responses.
Had they been furloughed in first lockdown then they may more of the "can do" attitude displayed by other essential workers
A week supporting NHS hospital staff would provide them excellent learning
MF
09/02/2021 17:32:56 0 3
what hope do we hold out for our children's education when we have teachers like you in our education system?
09/02/2021 18:22:03 1 3
of course they dont want to do extra hours. some teachers are great but theres alot which arent. near me i have a primary school which has been closed since september because the head refuses to reopen it for fear of covid. the average online teaching is 3hrs a day - ons - so sorry but we are failing our kids in the long term
09/02/2021 18:22:03 1 3
If still in the classroom I would have refused point blank to provide online learning. I suspect this alone will drive many out of teaching. Messing with teachers' holidays and hours will simply add to this.

Teaching in the UK is a pretty thankless hard slog, and is mainly the preserve of the desperate, who can't get a good job elsewhere. Making it a lot more unpleasant really isn't very wise.