Shoppers stuck at home shun new clothes in 2020
22/01/2021 | news | business | 887
Clothing was the hardest-hit sector last year, seeing a 25% drop in sales overall.
Why is there no HYS on the ridiculous £500 idea ? Removed
22/01/2021 10:42:59 2 2
Covid one? Lots of Covid threads. I'm sure you could get in into one of those. It has popped up on this one today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55751915
22/01/2021 10:43:12 1 1
There is.
Surely its never been more important to have good clobber - how else are wives supposed to keep their husbands entertained during lockdowns Removed
22/01/2021 10:43:07 7 17
It's all about destroying businesses on purpose for "The Great Reset", quote from the World Economic Forum " it's 2030, I own nothing and I've never been happier", lol they think we're all fool and gonna give up our freedom, NOT ME!!
You're a rare breed alright. I don't think fool adequately describes your stupidity Removed
22/01/2021 10:55:26 1 3
True, but you can't post the word you want to as it upsets the squeamish BBC mods.
Oh dear oh dear oh dear, clothes sales slumped 25% ? WOW

Well, it does make sense, since the entire pop of GreeeeaaaatA Britain has literally been locked up like a MASSIVE prison since last March, why did prisoners need that many new clothes then ?

By contrast

Here in China everyone is preparing for the Chinese New years next month and retailers are busy and girls and boys love new clothes...
22/01/2021 11:29:30 5 2
Except you are not in China.
22/01/2021 11:38:33 4 2
China- a communist state where people do as they're told or else. Britain - a free-will society where you're allowed out.

Tbf, a pandemic is easier to control in China. I'm not sure the British public would ever vote for communism
22/01/2021 11:10:45 28 23
What about the families in far east relying on this stuff to feed their kids? No furlough there! It's a far more complex issue than you suggest.
Another good side-effect of covid. Much more interesting things to in life, than buy clothes! Enviromentally best to have few clothes and wear the ones one has until they are worn out.
Too much time spent on people wrapping and packaging them selves rather than on optimising the contents. A turd is still a turd however nicely it is wrapped.
22/01/2021 12:09:27 1 2
Agree. I was raised in a house where we wore clothes till they needed to be replaced, not because we were bored with it or wanted to impress other people.
22/01/2021 11:13:02 9 4
that's a S**t comment
22/01/2021 13:06:15 1 0
The world is closed for business, meanwhile In China, the economic situation is fantastic!

One way ticket to China please!
22/01/2021 11:22:12 3 4
Because I’m working from home, I shower only on days I am going outside. I was only on days I have a meeting and I’ve not turned the iron on in over a month. What need have I for new clothes?
And there you have it.
The Govt, which leaked the proposed £500 payment for self isolation has just denied that it was even being considered.

Nothing to do with the criticism the proposal received.

The most populist Govt in Europe.
Dangerous times
22/01/2021 15:54:08 1 2
probably on a lefty bbc wish list so they spread the rumour
why has the HYS on the 400 idiots been removed BBC???????????? Removed
22/01/2021 16:10:49 1 0
Like your post, irrelevant?
22/01/2021 16:14:43 0 0
Anti semitism
And yet not a single mention of Nissan confirming massive long term investment in the North East but a story about a woman on a level crossing is a headline article - bizarre
It seems it really is difficult for the BBC website to offer any positive news, I wonder if it is because, as reported on the main News bulletin that, Nissan bosses are quoting that they can capitalise on the new Brexit deal.
Bob
22/01/2021 10:59:49 128 13
I'm guessing the Boohoo Leicester factory furore passed you by. Shoddy conditions, shoddy pay and cheap clothes designed to last one season.

Just because something is made in a particular country does not mean it is automatically good or bad.

Cheap labour does not have to mean cheap materials. You can make decent products anywhere. You just have to use the right quality ingredients.
22/01/2021 12:26:02 31 13
Unless your employment is linked to it perhaps?
22/01/2021 14:08:25 0 17
JUST WAIT!! THE GOVT HAVE BEEN PLANNING TO HAMMER THE CARS/VANS/LORRIES,, WITH 8/9 TIMES MORE-TAXES,, TO SUPPOSEDLY FILL THE LOSS OF FUEL TAX/ROAD TAX,ETC,, FIGURES ARE THEIR TO SEE THAT ARE 8/9 TIMES THE CURRENT COSTS>> ITS CALLED PAY BACK, AND NO WORRIES,ABOUT THE PEOPLE,, WE WILL BE OK??