Covid: Early years staff safety 'cause for concern'
22/01/2021 | news | education | 244
Nurseries, pre-schools and childminders call for rapid testing and priority access to vaccines.
22/01/2021 00:46:36 41 11
I can't say I blame them, kids may mot be very vulnerable to the virus but they can surely spread this new strain quite effectively.
Sam
23/01/2021 17:05:58 4 0
It there any evidence of that, seem a lot of people making statements based of very little. I'm not convinced young children are big spreaders and science seemed to back that up previously.
22/01/2021 00:46:28 33 11
How about supporting staff a bit better? My wife along with 5 other staff tested positive this week and have all been told they are only entitled to the statutory sick pay of £94 a week! this is a loss of about 70% of there income!
22/01/2021 00:49:53 11 9
I have a health condition and will be eligible for the vaccine ahead of my age group, but I'm lucky that my job allows me to stay home anyway. I'd much rather those who have to go to work and risk their lives get it before me. It's the least we can do to recognise their sacrifice, surely.
SJ
22/01/2021 06:48:10 5 0
Strange to see so many people downvoting a comment from someone being compassionate and kind.

Thank you for being a lovely person.
22/01/2021 00:51:42 7 14
Funny how they've been forced to stay open considering they have to be hands on with the children & can't wear face coverings through fear of scaring them, yet school teachers who sit/ stand far away enough from the pupils & could wear face shields aren't safe.

All the unions, they're poison to our education institution. They'd rather cause chaos & line thier pockets.
22/01/2021 00:52:36 9 8
I would too. Given covid might kill me and staying at home probably won't , I know which one I would chose. There's no point worrying about your job if you end up fighting for your life in hospital.
22/01/2021 01:01:04 23 19
None should be open. Not for staff interests but the fact the systems of herding groups into sealed rooms all day is a prime way to pass virus about. The children are not getting the ppe or vaccines early either, rightly. Schools and nurseries should have stayed closed since the first lockdown. they are only open for free childcare. Education could have been embedded by tv & remote means by now.
22/01/2021 01:05:36 17 13
What a surprise Government makes nurseries stay open but cuts their funding.

Are nurseries safe like schools were?
22/01/2021 01:12:59 40 13
Why pre-school should not have been treated the same way as schools is hard to justify.
Economic considerations rather than the science, one suspects.
Even toddlers have been shown to transmit the Covid virus and social distancing, masks, etc, are clearly impossible.
We have £800 fines for anyone attending a 15 person party but it's fine to mix more than that for hours a time on a daily basis.
22/01/2021 03:02:56 34 8
If anything nurseries are worse than schools. Little kids put objects in their mouth all the time, they can't wear face masks, impossible to keep apart, you have to be hands on with them (clean their faces after they've eaten etc), they don't know why to cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze.

Nurseries will be an absolute breeding ground for the virus.
22/01/2021 12:07:12 1 1
You've nailed it. It's only about the money. Early years are often the forgotten sector yet we are responsible for building strong roots for future generations.
22/01/2021 01:15:34 53 22
I work in early years I have seen my colleagues get infected and sadly some to be admitted to hospital
The government are lying they know that early years setting are spreading the virus New data that got released today states early years of the second highest rate of infections.
Super market first
Then early years setting

I am scared that I will take the virus home and infect my family
22/01/2021 01:35:10 32 18
Feel for you, yes was obvious from the start that kids of any age catch and pass it on, the science the government base their rules on is what suits them, easy to pick what science you want to follow when there's different opinions. My grandson who is 10 months old and his parents just recovered from it so even his age susceptible, stay safe
22/01/2021 06:04:47 11 6
My granddaughter has gone to two different nurseries since the start of the pandemic There hadn't been a single covid case up until December when one child in her bubble tested positive. 30 children isolated, not one developed covid. Good record for early years, testament to great controls implemented by staff. Staff are more likely to catch covid in everyday life than from a nursery.
22/01/2021 06:17:51 8 5
I couldn’t agree more. So many relatives of children have covid who have potentially caught it off their asymptomatic child, who has spread it staff. These staff are then taking it home to their families. No PPE,cuddling children, holding their hands , communal resources, the list goes on. Something has to change.
22/01/2021 06:50:56 2 5
same here. Everyday when I come back from work I can see the fears in my children's eyes. They are worried about me and me passing it to their dad who has diabeties. I have condition myself but we need to pay rent. TO SURVIVE!
22/01/2021 08:39:06 9 3
Any work place is a risk
23/01/2021 13:52:07 2 0
Unless you vaccine every parent you are still going to catch of the kids if they are super spenders as some believe.
Were do we stop with this.
23/01/2021 17:11:23 0 2
Our daughter works in a nursery who closed for the safety of staff and children. Unfortunately , it was too late for her as she contracted the virus and has passed it on to both of us and her grandmother . Anyone with "half a brain cell"could see it was going to happen.
22/01/2021 01:18:15 24 16
The government has said repeatedly that it is low risk for the children
What about the staff (are we not matter)
Today we had 97 children attend the setting with 34 staff
Keeping early years open the government is adding to the Covid situation millions of extra people on the streets and using the transport spreading the virus
Have no PPE no Testing no vaccine no government support yet we are ope
22/01/2021 02:20:52 11 10
Sadly no, in the eyes of the government - and apparently many of these commenters, you don't.

The facade of caring and not being a terrible hypocrite of a human being that was up at the start of this seems to have slipped entirely. Oh well - as long as these people know what they are.
22/01/2021 06:25:22 1 7
If you teach children, it's a shame you can't even put a sentence together!
Once you start paying people for not working they won't want to come back to work and will be giving you a litany of excuses. Hence western societies and their benefit culture have a very short shelf life as it leads to a complete demoralisation of society. Rather than encouraging people to work by rewarding them with lower taxes /other perks the West is excercising bribing people with "freebies" Removed
22/01/2021 02:18:03 21 2
Weird comment considering these people have probably been at work for a large part of this pandemic?

Maybe pick a fight with the people who've been getting paid up to £2500 a month for doing nothing for 6+ months while whining about it, rather than these people?
22/01/2021 02:56:53 3 0
Not sure what this has got to do with the article.

But can I just say, as someone who works in a restaurant and is currently on the furlough scheme. This lockdown absolutely sucks. Yes I am being given money (to pay my rent and ensure I don't starve). But if I had the option of making this virus go away right now and life returning back to normal tomorrow. Then I would take it in a heartbeat.
22/01/2021 06:30:50 0 0
If it's better in another country then off you go! Bye-bye!
22/01/2021 01:15:34 53 22
Super market first
Then early years setting

I am scared that I will take the virus home and infect my family
22/01/2021 01:35:10 32 18
22/01/2021 05:55:37 2 0
Perhaps we should broaden the list of governments we are prepared to listen to for health advice. The Americans for instance have been quite open about this since early summer: https://youtu.be/8PgmAWgiL1A?t=572
22/01/2021 13:13:29 2 4
The government are only concerned about votes. Close schools and nurseries you annoy probably 20 million voters. Killing 50,000 extra people only annoys their relatives and you can lie to them.
22/01/2021 01:41:51 49 11
My wife is a nursery teacher and she’s s”thinking of leaving. She gets paid £9 per hour and needs a string of qualifications, she’d be better paid emptying bins or cleaning. She is over 60 as I am and I’m a vulnerable person with a serious health condition.
She’s not worried out about COVID for herself but terrified she might pass it on to me.
Her view is that it’s simply not worth the risk.
22/01/2021 05:52:20 17 28
I have massive sympathies for you both here. One point though, this seems a little far fetched;

"She gets paid £9 per hour..... she’d be better paid emptying bins or cleaning."

Really not sure that's true for the majority of jobs in those areas!
Sam
23/01/2021 17:01:57 2 1
This is why vaccine priority should be done based on age. People in other professions have the exact same concerns, including cleaners - who are also in the front line as exposed to potentially contaminated surfaces. Over 60s and those with underlying conditions must not be bumped down the queue to make way for younger people regardless of their profession.
23/01/2021 22:46:26 0 0
Perhaps she ought to look at working for an agency:

£32-35,000 is double her current hourly rate.
22/01/2021 01:42:37 11 21
You get you get it, if you don't you don't. Only the extreme cases end up in hospital and make the news, so it seems like everyone will get it bad.

Not at all, I tested positive 3 months ago and had mild symptoms for 2 days and then started feeling better, as did my wife and some other people we knew. Even though this is the experience of most people, it won't make the headlines.
22/01/2021 02:35:40 27 8
So as long as it’s not you that ends up in hospital it’s not a problem?
22/01/2021 02:53:30 4 5
"Bad news, bad news, bad news. Jesus Jeremy, 1 bus crash. What about all the buses that made it safely to their destinations huh?"

"Yes, I suppose the news should just be a dispassionate list of all the events that have occurred the world over during the day. That would be good. Except of course it would take, FOREVER!"

Peep show fans will understand.
22/01/2021 05:50:19 10 4
This is the problem right here, sounds like your healthy and people around you that got covid, now imagine you have underlying issues and this could potentially kill you, you wouldn't have the "pull the ladder up jack I'm alright" attitude then.
22/01/2021 01:47:07 11 11
I'm sure that I've seen studies that show that there are virtually no known instances of small children infecting adults. If that's the case, what's the panic all about?
22/01/2021 02:48:55 20 5
Normally when you actually read through a scientific paper you tend to remember, as it takes quite a long time as they are quite detailed.

You sound like you've seen something on facebook.
22/01/2021 06:18:35 2 3
What 'studies' have you seen.
22/01/2021 02:18:03 21 2

22/01/2021 01:18:15 24 16
The government has said repeatedly that it is low risk for the children
What about the staff (are we not matter)
Today we had 97 children attend the setting with 34 staff
Have no PPE no Testing no vaccine no government support yet we are ope
22/01/2021 02:20:52 11 10

22/01/2021 01:42:37 11 21

22/01/2021 02:35:40 27 8
So as long as it’s not you that ends up in hospital it’s not a problem?
22/01/2021 01:47:07 11 11
22/01/2021 02:48:55 20 5

You sound like you've seen something on facebook.
Always thought it a bit wierd that in this world, seemingly anyone who wants to be a parent can be a parent often many times over if they so choose, no questions asked. Yet when it comes down to looking after them it suddenly becomes the fault of the Govt and everybody else creating problems. Removed
22/01/2021 06:04:29 5 4
This is about protecting NURSERY STAFF.

Are you saying you are happy for them to catch Covid and die, or did you just want to rant about parents ?

By the way, your parents bred you. Did that not occur to you ????
22/01/2021 01:42:37 11 21

22/01/2021 02:53:30 4 5

Peep show fans will understand.
22/01/2021 02:54:04 14 7
If you don't publish Covid test results, about the very young, 'openly' the public will never know...that suits leaders, in this case, as 'truth' can cause criticism of a deliberately deceiving policy.

Remember the 'wrong truths' are what leaders (political and religious) can never allow to be known!
JBd
22/01/2021 06:51:31 9 1
Go to the government dashboard, select the "download data" link on the left, choose the area you are interested in and select the metric "newCasesBySpecimenDateAgeDemographics"

In England, there were 6305 cases under 5 in the week to 16/01/21. That's a rate of 191 per 100k compared to 484 for all age groups.
22/01/2021 02:56:53 3 0
Not sure what this has got to do with the article.

22/01/2021 01:12:59 40 13
Economic considerations rather than the science, one suspects.
22/01/2021 03:02:56 34 8

Nurseries will be an absolute breeding ground for the virus.
22/01/2021 04:03:58 5 8
Now the possibility of a £500 benefit for a positive test has been reported we can expect a drop in RECORDED infections as people put off being tested with mild symptoms in case they can get the money if they test a few days later. Do reporters not think about the consequences of actions in reporting leaks? If deliberately leaked then recorded drop is needed but no money will follow.
22/01/2021 05:46:34 10 3
This is incorrect. The longer you wait the lower the chance that the test will return a positive result. The test works best in the early period of infection, even with mild symptoms. The longer you wait, the higher the chances of a false negative.

If you have symptoms, get tested. Immediately.
22/01/2021 04:27:42 6 4
Vaccination stations should be set up in every city, town and village operating 24 hours a day. That's how serious the situation is. I'm on the font line in a different sector of work and get 0 help.
22/01/2021 08:37:05 0 0
Just a suggestion. If you want them everywhere,and it is difficult to disagree, why not every polling station.

They are all local and we know where they are.

All local problems would be sorted by local people who know the local circumstances.
22/01/2021 13:44:27 0 0
In the ideal situation it would be wonderful. But you can only set up 24hr vaccination stations down to the level of every village if you have the supply and enough staff.
22/01/2021 05:43:27 9 19
Get a grip. Life isn’t safe.
22/01/2021 07:51:30 3 2
Don't die of Covid ignorance, will you ?
22/01/2021 05:43:39 45 20
Police and all teachers, including those working in a nursery and childcare setting should have been vaccinated in the first phase.
22/01/2021 20:10:25 4 6
Police equate to teachers now? Are you joking?
22/01/2021 04:03:58 5 8
22/01/2021 05:46:34 10 3

If you have symptoms, get tested. Immediately.
22/01/2021 06:40:42 1 1
Both pcr and lateral flow depend on having enough viral load to test. This is usually in the 5 to 15 days for pcr and can be anything upto 90 days after infection for lateral flow.
22/01/2021 05:47:37 57 26
Without school teachers you have no school education. So make the protection of teachers a Covid vaccination priority.
Give all teachers the jab now and let them do their vital job in safety ... and without fear.
22/01/2021 11:53:36 23 6
While I agree that front line staff should be vaccinated, vaccinating school staff will not slow transmission: it is the students who are more likely to be carriers, as there are vastly more of them.
22/01/2021 13:07:06 13 2
Its where they are in the priority list though,should healthy people unlikely to die be put in front of vulnerable people?
It could be argued that retail staff who serve customers are at the same if not greater risk as they come in contact with more people.Then you have the other side,kids are all together then going home to their parents,does that mean parents should be prioritised,off course not
22/01/2021 15:46:20 10 1
Yes all front line staff should be of higher priority and not just the teachers. The police, shop/supermarket workers are just as important. As these come in contact with many people. But I can understand why the old and medically vulnerable should be first.
22/01/2021 20:09:30 3 3
Another day and another bbc story designed to cause division and upset. We should not be deciding this on who shouts the loudest why is the bbc not reporting on the drop of the r rate to 0.8? Or would that be good news and we can't have that . The bbc needs to be shut down it just spreads misery and division for the sake of it
22/01/2021 22:32:24 7 2
The vaccine doesn't mean you are protected from the virus, and it 100% doesn't stop you from spreading the virus, so how will giving it to teachers benefit people?
22/01/2021 05:48:53 13 14
So positive tests are lower among under-5s. Hmm could it be that parents are choosing to isolate rather than stick a swab up their baby’s nose? Of course the numbers will be lower! That doesn’t mean there are actually fewer infections. This government is deceptive and uses misleading data to gaslight whole sectors and insist they aren’t at greater risk.
22/01/2021 05:57:11 8 4
Really?! If my child had symptoms I'd get them tested, without a second thought. As should anyone else in that situation.
22/01/2021 11:55:04 0 2
Exactly how many under 5s are going to let you test them, It was a nightmare to even get my boys haircut when he was 5
22/01/2021 01:42:37 11 21

22/01/2021 05:50:19 10 4
22/01/2021 01:41:51 49 11
Her view is that it’s simply not worth the risk.
22/01/2021 05:52:20 17 28

Really not sure that's true for the majority of jobs in those areas!
22/01/2021 07:01:06 2 10
In a true monetary sense, you may be right. The difference is the level of responsibility required by each job. Each is vital, but I would surmise that an average cleaner or binman doesn't have swathes of paperwork to complete on top of the actual job. Just a thought.
22/01/2021 07:05:12 9 5
Unfortunately Steve she is correct, don’t confuse nurseries with a primary school, as these are from 2 different sectors and therefore 2 different pay structures.
22/01/2021 11:58:35 1 5
Wake up Stevo. I sympathize though pal. Plenty like you.
23/01/2021 23:45:10 0 0
I get 12 per hour cleaning!!
22/01/2021 01:35:10 32 18
22/01/2021 05:55:37 2 0
22/01/2021 05:48:53 13 14
22/01/2021 05:57:11 8 4
22/01/2021 06:06:06 3 2
Yes of course they should, but in my experience they are less likely to.
22/01/2021 06:04:29 5 4
This is about protecting NURSERY STAFF.

By the way, your parents bred you. Did that not occur to you ????
22/01/2021 06:04:37 10 29
Wake up people! The vast majority of us will be ok. Get a grip on reality and just get on with life!
22/01/2021 01:15:34 53 22
Super market first
Then early years setting

I am scared that I will take the virus home and infect my family
22/01/2021 06:04:47 11 6
23/01/2021 17:14:15 0 0
31,000 have tested positive since December , then add on the number who they have passed it it to .
22/01/2021 05:57:11 8 4
22/01/2021 06:06:06 3 2
Yes of course they should, but in my experience they are less likely to.
22/01/2021 01:15:34 53 22
Super market first
Then early years setting

I am scared that I will take the virus home and infect my family
22/01/2021 06:17:51 8 5
22/01/2021 01:47:07 11 11
22/01/2021 06:18:35 2 3
What 'studies' have you seen.
22/01/2021 08:37:47 1 0
Fair question.
22/01/2021 06:12:17 27 7
My daughter is a primary teacher of key worker children in a class of 19, several of those children have siblings at home who have tested positive, yet they are still coming to school. How can that be a safe environment for the teacher? Without inoculations being given now.
22/01/2021 08:33:48 23 0
Obviously those children should not be in school. If your daughter knows their siblings have tested positive then either she or the head should refuse those children from coming to school. Rules are in place everyone should follow them
22/01/2021 01:18:15 24 16
The government has said repeatedly that it is low risk for the children
What about the staff (are we not matter)
Today we had 97 children attend the setting with 34 staff
Have no PPE no Testing no vaccine no government support yet we are ope
22/01/2021 06:25:22 1 7
If you teach children, it's a shame you can't even put a sentence together!
22/01/2021 06:29:59 5 16
I said that last Sept before fleeing from the chocking right-wring nasty lazy regime dominated UK to China to avoid the further lockdown

SHUT ALL SCHOOLS AND UNIV !!!!

or

Inbreed more variants of the British COVID virus to spread to the rest of the world

Thanks

BTW good luck to you in lockdown Britain and vaccinations

Greeting from China where everyone is preparing for the Chinese New year
22/01/2021 06:49:35 12 4
Urmmmm you are NOT in China as in China you cannot reply to this webpage !!!!!
22/01/2021 07:18:43 5 2
Well I'm really happy that CHINA is doing sooo well compared to the rest of the world it infected, not!!! I think you owe us BIG compensation.
23/01/2021 07:20:24 2 0
Sorrysorrysorry is back on his gloating hobby horse again at Britain's expense. I thought we had seen the last of him after his supposed return to China.

Meanwhile the Chinese state is now spinning the blatant lie that COVID-19 did not originate in China. But telling the truth was never their strong suit.
22/01/2021 06:30:50 0 0
If it's better in another country then off you go! Bye-bye!
22/01/2021 06:31:16 9 5
I fear a severe mass outbreak of video-whinges is about to hit our screens.

If I can't get childcare I can't go to work. If I can't go to work I can't afford to buy food. If I can't buy food I'll have to have free school meals. Have you seen the state of those?
22/01/2021 06:36:21 14 3
This is exactly why nursery staff need to be better supported, protected and also vaccinated
22/01/2021 06:33:22 12 9
Early years practitioners have always doubted that they are valued by Tory governments. At least now they know. They are a useful prop for the economy but expendable as human beings
22/01/2021 06:31:16 9 5
I fear a severe mass outbreak of video-whinges is about to hit our screens.

22/01/2021 06:36:21 14 3
22/01/2021 06:36:50 33 5
As a teacher of 32 years I got ill at least 3 times a year. I retired in 2016 and have had 1 serious flu type illness since then and I know exactly where I got it. From a child on a bus who was coughing and spluttering and spraying mucus everywhere.

Kids spread things around whether it has a major effect on them or not.
22/01/2021 06:50:18 7 14
Strange how our well paid leader would say you talk b,locks Salty, all that does is make us say "wait for the next election". Thats assuming we survive that far.
22/01/2021 08:25:29 4 2
So do adults in offices etc who insist on coming into work when they are ill.
23/01/2021 12:13:48 1 0
you are right lets keep them all; at home and have a generation of uneducated children , all experts across the world know this the difficulty is balance between health and education, im 67 years old i would sacrifice my jab to help my grand children a chance of education from front line staff ,but would that help ?
22/01/2021 05:46:34 10 3

If you have symptoms, get tested. Immediately.
22/01/2021 06:40:42 1 1
22/01/2021 07:52:37 0 0
This is true, but the key point here is "after infection". Viral load is highest from about 5 days after infection, NOT 5 days after symptom onset. With an average incubation period of 5-6 days the qPCR test should detect most cases from day one of symptoms being noticeable.

Hence advice to get tested as soon as you notice symptoms, as at that point you've already had the virus for nearly a week
22/01/2021 06:42:12 27 5
Special needs schools also open to all students. Staff and pupils testing positive. No mention as also the forgotten sector
22/01/2021 06:47:29 20 10
We as parents all know (despite Boris saying not) , children are prolific germ spreaders. Therefore its reasonable to assume teachers are at a big risk as indeed are the parents.
In my day (seemingly centuries ago) , there was a thing that everyone strived for - common sense.
Boris and his crew can shout and ball all the false news they like, but lurking out there is still common sense.
22/01/2021 00:49:53 11 9
SJ
22/01/2021 06:48:10 5 0

Thank you for being a lovely person.
22/01/2021 06:48:36 22 8
These are true front line workers, the covid protocols do nothing to protect them, everyday they're crossing their fingers hoping for a dry day where they can spend hours outside, just to protect the setting. This is a purely economic driven decision to remain open.
22/01/2021 13:08:10 12 0
They should have a priority BUT do NOT confuse the issue!
They are NOT frontline workers..they are KEY workers.
Frontline are NHS Staff in ICU etc and Police...
22/01/2021 06:29:59 5 16

SHUT ALL SCHOOLS AND UNIV !!!!

or

Thanks

BTW good luck to you in lockdown Britain and vaccinations

Greeting from China where everyone is preparing for the Chinese New year
22/01/2021 06:49:35 12 4
Urmmmm you are NOT in China as in China you cannot reply to this webpage !!!!!
22/01/2021 07:04:30 1 8
Of course I am in CHIIIIINAAND of course I can access any media I want
22/01/2021 06:36:50 33 5

Kids spread things around whether it has a major effect on them or not.
22/01/2021 06:50:18 7 14
22/01/2021 06:51:24 6 13
Murdering kids and their teachers in any civilised society is the most evil thing to do

SHUT SCHOOLS AND UNIV !
MOT
22/01/2021 08:41:44 0 7
Bet U vote labour /remain and hate our war hero’s. And want more handouts for the immigrants. Your a typical glass half empty person bet you dull as well ??????
22/01/2021 02:54:04 14 7

JBd
22/01/2021 06:51:31 9 1

22/01/2021 07:33:45 1 3
OK so its's lower, but try getting young kids to social distance. Early-years staff are playing Russian Roulette with one bullet in a revolver, held to the head, instead of a revolver with two bullets, from two metres away, pointed at them by an infected colleague.
22/01/2021 06:53:34 28 11
I’m sick to the back teeth with the government mantra that schools are safe.
Granted, children have a ridiculous small chance of getting ill.
But since when has sticking up to 30 people in a small room without PPE or social distancing happening ever been safe in a pandemic?
Can the government ‘ grow a pair’ drop that mantra and say, “Ok we need schools and child care open so people can work!”
23/01/2021 12:16:23 3 0
my sons children have had very little education 2 hours a day on line since october, oh by the way he works and lives in germany
22/01/2021 01:15:34 53 22
Super market first
Then early years setting

I am scared that I will take the virus home and infect my family
22/01/2021 06:50:56 2 5
22/01/2021 05:52:20 17 28

Really not sure that's true for the majority of jobs in those areas!
22/01/2021 07:01:06 2 10
22/01/2021 06:49:35 12 4
Urmmmm you are NOT in China as in China you cannot reply to this webpage !!!!!
22/01/2021 07:04:30 1 8
Of course I am in CHIIIIINAAND of course I can access any media I want
22/01/2021 05:52:20 17 28

Really not sure that's true for the majority of jobs in those areas!
22/01/2021 07:05:12 9 5
22/01/2021 06:29:59 5 16

SHUT ALL SCHOOLS AND UNIV !!!!

or

Thanks

BTW good luck to you in lockdown Britain and vaccinations

Greeting from China where everyone is preparing for the Chinese New year
22/01/2021 07:18:43 5 2
22/01/2021 07:46:59 3 7
lol @))

nonsense, the variant of the virus came from the UK, more than 60 nations now ban the UK
22/01/2021 07:22:33 7 4
The government said the under-fives were "unlikely to be playing a driving role in transmission".

Nursery schools are the major contributor to educational outbreaks say PHE

Anthony Costello
Doctor, Ex-Director, WHO. Professor, UCL. Co-chair Lancet . On Independent SAGE.
Screen shot of PHE document
22/01/2021 13:51:29 1 1
Explain why my local primary school in winchester has not recorded a single covid case in 2019
If it's the kids passing it then wht not one of 720 parents have not cought it.
It's just union scaremongering
JBd
22/01/2021 06:51:31 9 1

22/01/2021 07:33:45 1 3
JBd
22/01/2021 08:44:17 1 0
I don't necessarily disagree, Just saying the data is there if you know where to look although they don't exactly make it easy.

Even more worryingly, extremely high rates in the 90+ band. 11,113 new cases in last 2 weeks in England.
22/01/2021 07:37:23 2 3
Countries that have successfully tackled the pandemic have adopted a Zero Covis startegy. Here Prof Anthony Costello sets out a 14 step plan to improve Test Trace Isolate

Example:
Since Test and Trace launched, 97.8% of all contacts managed by local health protection teams have been successfully reached

Performance of call centres (Serco etc) is much worse ~ 67.7%
22/01/2021 07:41:40 3 2
e should close call centre contracts and move resources to local public health and primary care. Immediately.

We had 750,000 volunteers, including retired Doctors, nurses and administrators. They could do a great job as volunteers or on minimum wage. They are willing to help. Use them.
22/01/2021 07:37:23 2 3

Example:

Performance of call centres (Serco etc) is much worse ~ 67.7%
22/01/2021 07:41:40 3 2

22/01/2021 07:18:43 5 2
22/01/2021 07:46:59 3 7
lol @))

22/01/2021 08:31:05 6 1
What utter nonsense you are not in China you should be in a mental institution so the public are protected from you.??
22/01/2021 07:51:05 5 5
If early years- and schools in general- are such a critical function then the staff running them should have the protection they need. There are instances where covid infection has undoubtedly been spread via the very young from their parents. The govt is currently requiring teachers to go into danger: they are not SAS!
22/01/2021 06:40:42 1 1
22/01/2021 07:52:37 0 0

22/01/2021 05:43:27 9 19
Get a grip. Life isn’t safe.
22/01/2021 07:51:30 3 2
Don't die of Covid ignorance, will you ?
22/01/2021 08:13:07 4 3
My daughter works in early years. They are having to stay open to all. They are not allowed to wear a mask and there is no social distancing. And, unlike the teachers, there is no routine testing.
22/01/2021 08:37:32 6 2
Your daughter can go and get a test anytime she likes as can all teachers. Just take responsibility yourself do need someone to tell you what to do.
22/01/2021 06:36:50 33 5

Kids spread things around whether it has a major effect on them or not.
22/01/2021 08:25:29 4 2
So do adults in offices etc who insist on coming into work when they are ill.
22/01/2021 08:28:30 3 3
IMHO Vaccinations of the Over 50s to 60 can wait and that priority group can be moved to group 10 and group 9 can be replaced with all non vaccinated key workers. Nursery staff, teachers, supermarket worker etc.
22/01/2021 07:46:59 3 7
lol @))

22/01/2021 08:31:05 6 1
22/01/2021 06:12:17 27 7
22/01/2021 08:33:48 23 0
22/01/2021 04:27:42 6 4
22/01/2021 08:37:05 0 0

They are all local and we know where they are.

22/01/2021 08:13:07 4 3
22/01/2021 08:37:32 6 2
22/01/2021 10:59:20 1 1
Not so. Only if ALREADY showing symptoms. This is from govt website guidance “ It is vital that educational settings only recommend children or staff to get a test if they develop these symptoms - the capacity of the NHS Test and Trace system must be protected for those with symptoms of the virus.” Something about shutting stable doors...?
22/01/2021 13:12:42 1 0
The point being made here( I assume) is that teachers and state nurseries are to be given lateral flow tests. However PVI ( private run) settings ARE not. ??.
22/01/2021 06:18:35 2 3
What 'studies' have you seen.
22/01/2021 08:37:47 1 0
Fair question.
22/01/2021 01:15:34 53 22
Super market first
Then early years setting

I am scared that I will take the virus home and infect my family
22/01/2021 08:39:06 9 3
Any work place is a risk
23/01/2021 17:16:44 0 0
True , but how many places do get as "close contact" as you do with young children and adults?
MOT
22/01/2021 08:39:27 3 8
If it was so bad for teachers an skids spread it, why aren’t all teachers getting it. Fake news kids are ok and need to be in school. Just isolate the elderly and the vulnerable until they get the vaccine. I feel fir the kids. Teachers are well paid with massive pensions. 99% of them are great and do not complain, it’s the millionaire unions who Destroy society’s.
22/01/2021 09:15:14 2 1
Who destroy society's what?
22/01/2021 09:47:39 3 0
The Government closed schools not unions. Teachers are not well paid; if they were well paid there would not be a huge shortage of teachers. Teachers and the public sector pensions have been pruned by the Government 10 years ago, the only public sector pension that is massive is that of MP's. Facts that spoil your rant.
22/01/2021 10:55:04 2 0
Teachers 333% higher infection rates than others in their local authorities
22/01/2021 06:51:24 6 13

SHUT SCHOOLS AND UNIV !
MOT
22/01/2021 08:41:44 0 7
22/01/2021 09:53:42 3 1
I bet U vote UKIP/leave and hate the public sector. And want more handouts for the anglosaxons. You are (I note your spelling error) a typical glass half empty person bet you are dull as well. (I leave out the childish emojis).
22/01/2021 07:33:45 1 3
JBd
22/01/2021 08:44:17 1 0

MVP
22/01/2021 08:48:18 4 3
I am surprised it is only half of early years staff who do not feel safe.
22/01/2021 09:01:13 9 6
It's amazing isn't it? People gathered in groups of 15 or more, enjoying themselves (can't have that can we!) can be fined £800, yet nurseries, pre-schools and schools with classrooms of 25+ children is seen as being perfectly acceptable!
It makes no sense whatsoever.
MOT
22/01/2021 08:39:27 3 8
22/01/2021 09:15:14 2 1
Who destroy society's what?
22/01/2021 09:26:31 3 2
If you vaccinate teachers and fully open schools, without also vaccinating the kids parents then you will create a generation of orphans.
22/01/2021 09:24:52 3 1
And so half do feel safe.. feeling are hard to change..but the evidence is that they are safe
22/01/2021 13:18:28 0 1
"Current evidence suggests that pre-school children are less susceptible to infection and are unlikely to be playing a driving role in transmission."
What is the fact that Nursery Workers are five times as likely to have Covid, if it is not evidence?
AMc
22/01/2021 09:31:40 9 4
Well none of us who have to go to work right now 'Feel Safe'.

If you are of a certain age or more, have underlying health issue which put you at a much greater risk then you shield yourself.

Your efforts are very much appreciated, I meant that sincerely, but please just get on with it like the rest of us.
22/01/2021 09:28:59 2 7
Covid thoroughly approves the tory response.

'Couldn't have dun it better meself' says grateful virus.
22/01/2021 09:37:25 8 1
Everyone thinks they should have priority. How many of the population in general feel 'safe'? I have sympathy but I am also a key worker and, unfortunately, that means accepting a certain level of risk above the norm.
22/01/2021 09:42:16 5 6
The standard of spelling and grammar in posts bashing teachers says it all.
22/01/2021 09:55:56 2 3
You mean many of the posters played truant for many years.
MOT
22/01/2021 08:39:27 3 8
22/01/2021 09:47:39 3 0
22/01/2021 09:43:37 7 2
Protect the vulnerable first you selfish lot
22/01/2021 09:51:10 10 1
If every group of people are special case and should have priority over others, we all should get the vaccine at the same time.
Think of the logistics of this.
Also, what about the high risk profession such as NHS staff who are daily in contact with covid, people with underlying illness etc.
Everyone wants to be special case.
22/01/2021 20:39:10 0 2
The politics of identity exploited by those who like to cause mischief but produce no good themselves the bbc. No R rate reduction story, no initiatives to improve health vit d intake or people's mental health or stress just an endless stream of negative left leaning narratives as a vendetta against a government and population deep down they loathe. Defund the bbc for the benefit of all
MOT
22/01/2021 08:41:44 0 7
22/01/2021 09:53:42 3 1
22/01/2021 09:42:16 5 6
The standard of spelling and grammar in posts bashing teachers says it all.
22/01/2021 09:55:56 2 3
You mean many of the posters played truant for many years.
22/01/2021 10:00:54 5 2
My child's nursery are well organised. They have bubbles, copious amounts of hand washing. Also, very happy to be open and educating the pre school children. They had themselves organised before all the guidelines came out. They were ready to go with military precision. It is a shame that surveys say 'feel safe', since this is a personal reaction not objective fact.