Insurers must pay many small firms for Covid lockdown losses
15/01/2021 | news | business | 1,424
A Supreme Court ruling provides a lifeline for many firms that had business interruption insurance.
15/01/2021 10:52:41 155 27
Hooray! I worked in IT for an insurance company and it does not hurt me to say they are nothing more than leeches and sharks, this is a win for the small man/company.
If you feel that way maybe you should get yourself a conscience and resign ! Removed
15/01/2021 10:57:38 50 2
Obviously you cannot read I said I worked, meaning past tense..so no longer working..
15/01/2021 10:59:09 28 2
"I worked" - past tense.
15/01/2021 10:59:41 23 2
He said ‘worked’ as in past tense.
15/01/2021 11:03:44 10 3
Talking loud..... and saying nothing.....
15/01/2021 11:13:09 21 4
Bet you feel stupid now.

You ought to . . . .
15/01/2021 11:22:01 16 2
last time I checked 'worked' was past tense - basic English
Dick Removed
15/01/2021 12:28:28 3 2
He said "leechers and sharks" not "doing something imoral and or illegal". It is odd you think nobody should work for an employer if they dont like that employer. Most people would define the threshold to rage quit as more than just being a bit unhappy.
15/01/2021 12:49:11 6 0
Worked is past tense - read the comment before you criticize
15/01/2021 12:56:30 3 0
The key word from officer dibble is WORKED!!!!!!!
15/01/2021 13:39:23 0 1
But sadly, most people will need insurance at some point, so the insurers will need staff to run the business...we'd be without insurance if everyone objected to working for them
15/01/2021 13:49:11 1 0
"worked"

If your eyesight is that bad maybe you should visit an optometrist!
15/01/2021 14:49:44 0 0
If you bother to read the text OD said 'worked' which is past tense and from that intimates that he may very well have had a conscience moment and resigned! Just a thought;-)
Insurers are generally scum. Glad to see them kicked like this. Removed
Dick Removed
15/01/2021 11:28:53 3 7
I blame brexit - wanted to be the first
15/01/2021 12:42:04 0 1
Maybe the T
15/01/2021 11:34:37 49 85
I think it's disgraceful that people are so thick that they think that insurance covers 'everything'.

As a broker I know what we do. We send clients detailed quotes. There are IPIDs which say what is - and what is not - covered on the policy. We send policy wordings. But I suppose it's all too much - client's can't read all that, but want every claim paid though.
There are 3 types of commenter on this article:

1. The conspiracy theorists who believe the entire £250 billion pound insurance industry is entirely fraudulent. Presumably they have no insurance.

2. Plucky keyboard warriors. No clue about what's happened but keen to have a go and add their insight.

3. People able to hold a balanced view and recognise poor behaviour by some insurers.
15/01/2021 13:46:08 6 0
And those that think they know everything about HYS'ers
15/01/2021 13:47:56 1 0
A down vote for pomposity. And you are not adding to the debate at all, so assume you are a "plucky keyboard warrior" by your own definition.
15/01/2021 14:06:17 2 0
4 Those with expert and informed knowledge of the topic in question.
15/01/2021 14:13:00 0 0
Or option 4. Insurers are just giving people what they want. Ever cheaper insurance premiums. When so much emphasis is put on price above all else of course the quality of the product will suffer. If claim costs are going up and premiums are going down how else do insurers remain profitable but to limit the range of cover. Insurance is like any other business in that regard.
THIS NEWS IS BETTER THAN THE PATHETIC SNAKE OIL RED TAPED UP BREXIT DEAL, WHICH WAS THE FRUIT OF 4 YEARS OF LYING. Removed
Back again? Spouting yet more nonsense about another subject you know nothing about? Removed
MVS
15/01/2021 11:11:21 27 47
No, I am somebody who has been able to drive, and go on holiday and have a mortgage and cover for my possessions against theft and accident, and breakdown cover for my car and household appliances....and have never had a problem with an insurance company handling my applications and very occasional payouts in my 55 years of being a customer.
What an idiot Removed
15/01/2021 14:13:19 6 2
Insurance companies like taking your money, but put more hurdles in the way when it comes to paying out.
Do they, Dave? In your experience, is that - or is it what your mates say? Removed
15/01/2021 14:07:00 2 4
At last some sense, for too long insurance companies have sold policies and gratefully collected the premiums only to wriggle out of paying claims on the most tenuous of technicalities
Have they? Really? Proof? Or what your mate says? Removed
15/01/2021 13:47:42 5 4
Insurance companies are bigger leeches than solicitors or politicians. They word policies in such a way that they can always find a way out of paying, then when they do have to pay they load premiums. I spent a couple of years working for one of the big insurers and some of the practices must verge on illegal.
In the post room if this post is indicative of the knowledge you gained. Removed
15/01/2021 13:40:47 0 2
Watch those premiums rocket and a block change in terms and conditions. Anybody who thinks that insurance companies are there to pay out in your hour of need is sorely deluded as proven by the need for these businesses to take them to court.

So quick to take the money, incredibly reluctant to meet their obligations. A major shake up of financial services is long overdue but the tories are deaf.
Rather deaf than uneducated. Removed
We pay 20 grand a year for out insurance, never made a claim. It clearly mentions in the cover being closed by the authorities due to a virus outbreak. Should be clear cut! Would they pay? would they f**k. We've nearly gone bankrupt, they could have saved us, saved jobs. Insurance is about calculated risk. Don't sell it if you don't like risk! Removed
15/01/2021 12:44:38 14 3
Having for the first time in my life made an insurance claim for a serious flood in my house, i am left totally exhausted by the experience. 34 months so far and still the end not in sight. This is great news but i suspect the process these small business's now have to go through to settle a claim will be equally gruelling.
15/01/2021 11:26:59 3 5
So what is insurance for then? Step 1...You pay us an insurance premium. Step 2...there isn't one. Sorry mate.
I'd lay off the CoolAid if I were you. Removed
I'd lay off the CoolAid if I were you. Removed
15/01/2021 16:50:09 1 0
I'd lay of the Trump propaganda if I were you.
15/01/2021 16:08:20 2 0
I get numerous "I heard you were in an accident that wasn't your fault" calls, I have blocked 40 such callers' numbers.

And I've not even been in an accident.
We have just received a letter from Argenta Insurance setting out the details they need for us to complete our claim, including " • details of any business support grants received by the insured business, including any furlough payments". I wonder if they will try to offset any gain in insurance payout against these amounts. Removed
15/01/2021 17:54:37 4 0
Undoubtedly. The general mistrust of the public by insurers is mirrored by the publics' mistrust of insurers.
15/01/2021 17:55:15 1 0
Of course they will as you will ever only claim for loss. Your loss becomes their loss ,so if your looking for a earner during covid , your kidding yourself.
15/01/2021 17:56:50 0 0
Undoubtedly. The mistrust of the public by the insurers is mirrored by the publics' mistrust of insurers.
15/01/2021 18:20:43 2 0
Various legal principals govern insurance, one of which is Indemnity (you are entitled to be for your actual loss, but cannot profit from it), and insurers have a right or recovery i.e if you receive compensation from other sources they are entitled to take this into account, or exercise your rights of recovery. This is law, not insurers nit-picking.(I am a retired insurance broker)