Getafe: How Jose Bordalas has turned Madrid club into La Liga threat
14/02/2020 | sport | football | 83
A Roman Empire enthusiast who has turned the Spanish top flight on its head - meet Getafe boss Jose Bordalas.
14/02/2020 12:51:06 5 136
They are ok for now but will be relegated back to where they belong in the near future. All these diddy teams have a few years in the sun. When we look back in 10 years it'll be some other tinpot club shining. I'm the end only the big teams matter. I advise fans of small teams to give that up and support the true big clubs.
14/02/2020 12:58:20 55 3
@1 The irony being that my "small" team existed way before your "big" team and if you'd followed your own advice you wouldn't have a club to support...
14/02/2020 13:28:27 64 1
1. What?? I support my local 'tinpot' club because my brother took me to watch them play in 2003, stadium is a 10 minute journey from my house, was in the old standing section and a local bloke scored the winner. Could never have supported anyone else. Nothing better than seeing 'diddy' clubs with players who play for the shirt and the fans, doing better than teams of entitled egos.
14/02/2020 13:32:39 46 2
@1 Breadbin. You are clearly several sandwiches short of a picnic. I appreciate you don't have the mental capacity to think things through but imagine how quickly you'd tire of watching Barcelona playing Juventus and Real Madrid playing Bayern Munich repeatedly throughout the season, season after season, because of the demise of the so-called 'diddy teams'. Be careful what you wish for.
14/02/2020 13:57:53 19 1
@1 breadbin...whilst i agree with your point i dont with your sentiment. Yes, they may not last at the top forever due to resources etc. But lets hope they do ruffle feathers. The champs league is becoming stale and predictable and it seems onlu in prem do we get newbies going through to champs league. I preffered the days when unheard of teams beat the "giants"...via crackling radio waves....
14/02/2020 15:45:20 6 2
@1 - I know you are just trying to provoke but your point is quite interesting (obviously not intentionally). With TV coverage nowadays it would be great to see a league consisting of all the "mega" teams playing each other endlessly. Even better they could play in a different continent every week. Us who are not fussed on the "big team" world could leave you to watch a big team on TV each week.
14/02/2020 17:25:51 7 2
@1 I just wish I could do more than one down vote for your ridiculous statement
14/02/2020 12:51:06 5 136
14/02/2020 12:58:20 55 3
14/02/2020 13:05:54 9 40
A HYS on a inferior league .... Must be quiet in the EPL
14/02/2020 13:08:27 45 2
I love underdog teams, I support Rotherham, UD Lanzarote and Fort William. They fight against all the odds and never give up. Without these "little" teams some big teams wouldn't have players, A certain Shaun Goater plied his trade at Rotherham... Chris Wilder and Alan Knill were there too. Mike Politt played for Wigan in the Premiership, UD Lanzarote had a Swedish international, Google is good.
15/02/2020 10:27:28 2 0
#5 understand where you're comng from sadly you're quoting 20-30 years ago my side won the 1st division with 7 youth players who came up the ranks with others in the squad but era is dead clubs like Chelsea have garnered the talent in an obscene way sending over 30 youth players out on loan and flogging them off Every now and then you get a Getafe but they illustrate the massive gulf it's a shame
14/02/2020 13:09:17 3 4
Soon Real will be the third best team in Madrid :D Also if you haven't seen the youtube video yet - look for the Getafe sad koala advert. It's golden.
14/02/2020 13:11:08 35 5
Have the Beeb linked him with Man utd yet?
14/02/2020 13:15:10 30 6
He was the only one of his family to show an interest in football ..... apart from an older brother. So he wasn't then ....
14/02/2020 13:24:05 69 2
Nice to see Balague do an article on a 'small' club for a change, instead of gossiping about Barca or Real.
14/02/2020 13:27:27 9 24
Guillem Balague literally steals a living from the game, two bit journalist that just mashes up other stories/rumours/ifs and buts in an attempt to make himself sound original and interesting. I wouldn't let him write a shopping list.
14/02/2020 13:28:07 42 1
sounds similar to sheff utd in the prem small club defying the odds. keep it going getafe
14/02/2020 12:51:06 5 136
14/02/2020 13:28:27 64 1
14/02/2020 13:30:48 95 2
"Bordelas is indeed a breath of fresh air". So is this article. If only we'd get more of this rather than the usual inane nonsense about the EPL big guns
14/02/2020 12:51:06 5 136
14/02/2020 13:32:39 46 2
14/02/2020 13:40:03 5 25
More evidence that La Liga's days in the sun are over and it is now simply a pub league.
14/02/2020 13:59:03 9 2
15. Posted byfootie fan Sheffield are doing well this season? Does that mean the Premier League is a 'pub' league too?
@15.......your comment just confirms what a moron you really are Removed
14/02/2020 15:34:14 1 2
@15 Totally agree. Several years back I was an avid follower. These days I couldn't even tell you who was top. The English Championship is a better standard. Maybe if this Jose guy is prepared to start at the likes of Carlisle, or maybe up here in Scotland at a St Mirren type club, he might get a chance in Britain. No danger anyone further up the ladder would be interested though.
14/02/2020 13:43:55 7 2
How long before the Man Utd/Spurs/Man City/Chelsea link surfaces, manufactured by the lazy, clueless media ?
Comment number 1.... uh oh Retard Alert! Going to assume you support one of the elite,bankrolled by a Sheikh who gives his manager £100 million he found down the back of the sofa to get a left back. Personally I support a non league side and wouldn't change a thing about it. No overpriced mercenaries, no self entitled arrogance and best of all no fans who look down their noses at other clubs Removed
14/02/2020 13:45:26 3 2
and its traaaaanmere rovers
14/02/2020 13:48:08 16 0
I'll be giving Getafe v Ajax in the Europa League a watch next week, should be an interesting contest!
14/02/2020 13:51:50 1 0
Nice to see things have changed since Getafe's Burger King sponsored days where they had a picture of the king on the insides of their shirts!
I know it's not de rigeur, but there is something truly beautiful, inexpressibly aesthetic, in a well timed tackle that takes man/woman/ball and the kitchen sink Removed
14/02/2020 13:56:52 1 1
@21 TamLinn, You will only tackle a sink once, it totally knackers your ankles when you go crunching into it.
14/02/2020 13:55:32 5 3
From those tactical stats he sounds like Sami Alardyci.
14/02/2020 13:56:52 1 1
14/02/2020 12:51:06 5 136
14/02/2020 13:57:53 19 1
14/02/2020 13:58:33 14 8
Only one in the family? I believe his cousin is Juan Ignacio (Martinez) who took Levante into the Europa a few years ago. Your writer needs to do a bit of decent research before coming out with stuff like this.
14/02/2020 13:40:03 5 25
14/02/2020 13:59:03 9 2
14/02/2020 13:59:34 11 2
I like the coaches that bring out the snobbery of their peers. A win is a win. Only the most lucky fans have the privilege of saying they don't like the style of football their club plays. Getafe fans will probably never live to see their team in 3rd position again. By the sounds of it he could come in and do a job at Burnley. Little funds, and flirt more with relegation each season.
14/02/2020 14:21:06 20 3
Some there appear to suggest Getafe should lie down to the plastic clubs, it's good news Madrid has 2 genuine football clubs that don't cheat in the ways Real sponger and Barca have done for decades.
14/02/2020 14:21:26 2 5
Taverna team!
14/02/2020 14:52:33 2 3
Sam Allardyce in disguise
14/02/2020 14:54:23 7 10
So basically they are the Spanish version of Sheffield United, what they lack in skill and technique, they make up for in determination and endeavour. Nothing wrong with that, but those type of teams never win the big prizes, and remain middle of the road.
14/02/2020 15:00:47 12 0
I have been following getafe for a number of years, what they are doing is to be commended. They may not win the league but they are doing well in the Europa League and only missed qualifying for the champions League on the last game of the season bordalas is doing a fantastic job. Keep it up boys.
14/02/2020 15:17:05 1 2
That little bit about Espanyol was just embarrassing. Sounds like what City probably did a decade ago to get the likes of Silva, Aguero and Toure to join them. Hopefully that Cabrera gets booed to high heaven the next time he plays against Getafe.
14/02/2020 15:25:40 2 11
About as relevant as Katie Price
14/02/2020 13:40:03 5 25
@15.......your comment just confirms what a moron you really are Removed
At least there's one Jose who isn't a complete plum Removed
14/02/2020 15:32:13 18 2
The last few years has been good for football in that work rate, effort and attitude are being rewarded over money see Sheffield Utd, Leicester, Wolves and even Liverpool who are unbeaten due to excellent work rate and an unwavering will to win, money can't buy that.
14/02/2020 13:40:03 5 25
14/02/2020 15:34:14 1 2
14/02/2020 15:44:00 5 1
Getafe are the Spanish Leicester. Perhaps City should be having a luck at this guy now that Pep has basically thrown the towel in.
14/02/2020 12:51:06 5 136
14/02/2020 15:45:20 6 2
14/02/2020 15:51:56 7 0
Nice story and I wish them all the best. In a ideal football world all the teams would play with Ajax & Barcelona's philosophy but it's not, so great to see teams finding another way. Just like the Dons in 96/97
14/02/2020 16:01:01 0 2
Interesting story, I don't think I've seen Getafe play but next time Europa League games are on in USA will look for them - the description of high-line defense and committing a lot of fouls (tactical fouls?) remind a bit of Man City although the possession statistics are quite the opposite
14/02/2020 16:12:51 5 2
Whilst I understand your comments and agree he should be boo'ed just for the fun of it. How many people would leave their job for double pay for doing the same thing. Most I would say and that can include sports professionals.
14/02/2020 16:22:26 10 6
Congratulations to the Manager and Club. The story is similar to Chris Wilder (undoubtedly a terrific coach) and Sheffield United (so often the lesser side in terms of league positions and certainly trophies within their city). Best wishes to Getafe! Stu.
14/02/2020 16:43:59 7 1
Just a few days ago Getafe was part of a massive discussion on the soccer section of Reddit after someone posted that they have the worst passing % in all the big 5 leagues and also a terrible disciplinary record but are 3rd in La Liga table. I mostly watch EPL and Bundesliga so this article sheds some wonderful light on their game. Being purposeful with the ball is very important.
14/02/2020 17:08:42 9 2
And all on average gates of less than 12,000. Good luck to them.
14/02/2020 17:19:37 3 4
when valencia were catching up, barca poached david villa. there are many more examples of this. that barca want to poach a getafe striker says it all.
14/02/2020 12:51:06 5 136
14/02/2020 17:25:51 7 2
@1 I just wish I could do more than one down vote for your ridiculous statement
14/02/2020 18:26:53 1 1
yep
14/02/2020 19:27:56 14 6
This isn't news. 13 years ago Getafe where top of La Liga, got to the Copa Del Rey Final and the following year thrashed The Spuds at White Hart Lane in the Uefa Cup group stages. This team hasn't suddenly come from nowhere as this journalist would have us believe. They were grabbing headlines way before Balague thought he had a story.
14/02/2020 19:42:53 0 2
Are they still sponsored by Burger King?
14/02/2020 19:52:59 2 4
Biggest spud supporter from Chicken, Alaska, USA here. So he loves to play hoofball instead of tiki taki. He is essentially La Liga's Jose Mourinho. I think my fellow spuds would agree that it would be better we welcome him over to our club instead of The Grumpy One that we have to tolerate every week.
14/02/2020 20:37:22 3 1
Bordaleses super rags to riches life experience as a manager of a bournemouth size club who have been in a copa del ray final and have a decade ago battled at the top during the season.
14/02/2020 21:16:52 0 3
His first name is not Jose. It's José.
14/02/2020 21:23:05 3 2
Sounds like the La Liga version of Burnley!? Best of luck to them... Up The Clarets and The Getafe! ?? ?
14/02/2020 21:40:54 3 3
Balague Is a freeloader. This article is strewn with errors.
14/02/2020 21:58:33 4 2
Totally agree 56.Georges & 50.Westmoor Balague waste no opportunity blow his own trumpet as the leading authority, as if he discovered Getafe. Guess what? He had a low-key playing career too. Bordalas sounds like a unpretentious & humble (like Nano at Wolves) person who doesn't forget his roots & the hardships growing up. I love articles about ones like him. Makes this Beautiful Game what it is
TJG
14/02/2020 21:59:13 3 4
And when Barcelona and RM get banned from European Competition for two years, for the same reasons as Man City, then their stock will rise even higher - Champions League for a start.
Sha
14/02/2020 22:18:43 1 17
La Liga....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
14/02/2020 22:28:37 15 0
An interesting article for a change! More of the same please ??
14/02/2020 22:44:55 4 4
Pep’s replacement. Defo. Especially now city found guilty of buying the league for years (for a second time)
14/02/2020 22:57:21 1 0
Wanted him to replace Hughton at Brighton, as he fitted the criteria of stability and sustainability in the financial madness of the EPL. Instead we got Potter who gets the team to play better looking football at the same time as sleep walking the club back to the oblivion of the Championship
15/02/2020 00:01:03 1 1
Whatever Jose does, it won't be for long; his daft Directors will sell his best players, hire a bunch of dummies and exasperate him into leaving. That's Pro-Football.
Zed
15/02/2020 08:13:54 7 0
Love it. Like Wilder at the Blades, Nuno at Wolves, Nagelsman at RB Leipzig and Inzaghi at Lazio this season.
MGM
15/02/2020 08:42:07 3 1
Agree, its a great article. This seems to be happening in most of the top leagues, even in the EPL with SU, WW, etc. The 2 places it isnt happening is the dreary Scottish and French leagues where a pt dropped by Celtic or PSG is big news.
15/02/2020 09:12:31 3 2
65: you’re dreaming or on something to add EPL to that list. Three teams have shared 14 of last 15 years of this “who’s got the most money” contest. It’s a dull contest of balance sheets, marketing and corporate franchises v rich man’s hobby.
MGM
15/02/2020 08:42:07 3 1
15/02/2020 09:12:31 3 2
MGM
15/02/2020 10:28:49 1 0
66 Didnt say they would win the EPL, just like Getafe wont win La Liga or Lazio the Italian league, etc.
15/02/2020 09:40:24 2 1
The Wimbledon of Spain.
15/02/2020 09:50:49 1 0
Players actually playing for the shirt How refreshing
14/02/2020 13:08:27 45 2
15/02/2020 10:27:28 2 0
15/02/2020 09:12:31 3 2
MGM
15/02/2020 10:28:49 1 0
Ray
15/02/2020 10:38:04 2 16
Less of this foreign garbage BBC, HYS on Man c please.
15/02/2020 11:02:05 3 6
71. Posted byRayon 22 minutes ago Less of this foreign garbage BBC, HYS on Man c please. --- brexiter is man city fan shocker!! Who'd have thought plastic people would support plastic teams.
Ray
15/02/2020 10:38:04 2 16
Less of this foreign garbage BBC, HYS on Man c please.
15/02/2020 11:02:05 3 6
15/02/2020 11:21:04 4 5
A HYS on Man City, are you serious? I think we all know where that would go. Scouse filling it up with their obvious humour, and obvious bile. Crawl back under your stone
15/02/2020 13:33:26 2 1
73 Wifinot, oh dear such a humourless and obvious bile filled comment that must must have come from beneath ground level. Do scousers make your already wrinkly skin feel worse?
15/02/2020 13:45:32 2 0
73. Wifinot Big tough keyboard warrior. Ill get from under my stone if you get out from behind your keyboard.
15/02/2020 11:55:30 7 0
I live in Spain and agree La Liga is dullish but Getafe would hold their own in the Premier. Solid team. Honest players. No prima donnas either.Isn' t that a good start? Oh. And they are hard! But not like our old Wimbledon of yesteryear
15/02/2020 12:14:29 1 8
HYS on Getafe??? One of our top clubs has just been chucked out if the champs league. In all fairness we couldn’t care a toss about la Liga as it’s a bore fest. Who comes up with this dribble?
15/02/2020 12:49:15 0 6
Should bring a sin-bin into football, whereby if a team is persistently fouling, the ref says, the next foul which constitutes a yellow card, that player would spend 10 minutes in the bin. Forward Madrid. The All Whites. The Whites.
15/02/2020 13:26:13 3 0
Getafe get the basics right - scoring more goals than your opponent.
15/02/2020 11:21:04 4 5
15/02/2020 13:33:26 2 1
15/02/2020 13:41:50 1 0
Sounds to me as a "doer" and not a BSer. The table never lies?
15/02/2020 11:21:04 4 5
15/02/2020 13:45:32 2 0
15/02/2020 14:37:57 1 0
So Croydon is picked as the comparison to London to indicate Getafe's relationship to Madrid. Probably explains why Vicente Guiata, Getafe's goalkeeper from a season or so back is now quietly getting on with being one of the best keepers in the Premier playing just up the road from Croydon at Palace
15/02/2020 21:20:35 0 0
Beaten by an awful Barcelona team today.
15/02/2020 22:40:02 0 0
" Scouse filling it up with their obvious humour, and obvious bile" Nothing wrong with scousers pal. And their sense of humour is great. What any of that has to do with either Getafe, or Man City I have no clue? Tbh, 'scouse' and 'Liverpool fc' don't belong in the same sentence either. As anyone who's stood/sat anywhere at Anfield bar the Kop knows..